Possible dumb question on Hifonics..

Gringo
Gringo Posts: 61
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok i might sound like an idiot here.....but recently i purchased a hifonics zues 7500....and i purchased a lot of other equipment to upgrade my entire car audio install. When i went to install my amp, i finally realized that it doesnt mount like a normal amp. Now, whether im missing screws that came with the amp(I may have misplaced them cause i was so pumped with my new purchases), or im an idiot and dont understand how this thing mounts. The other 5 amps ive owned have all had screwholes at the bottom of the amp, but the zeus has something called HSMD - Hifonics Surface Mount Design. Ive read through the instruction manual like 43 times and havent found anything on it. The website also lacks info. So if anyone has any advice on what the heck you do, or to tell me if im missing screws or brackets or something, please help. I may have just misplaced the screws, but id like to know if i should be looking for them or not.
Onkyo Tx-Sr700
Fronts: Polk Rti-70s
Center: Polk Csi-40
Surrounds: Polk Fxi-50s
Sub: SvS 20-39pci
Sony 36inch HdTv
Denon DvD-2200 Sacd/Dvd-a
Post edited by Gringo on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    there are probably screw holes in the back of the amp... you then can drill through what you wanna mount it to and screw it in from behind (kind of retarded way of mounting an amp) ... if i am wrong on this and it doesn't have screw holes in back, than **** man, i have no friggin idea... i looked up some pics of the amp and it has no feet, no top holes, nothin... maybe you have to take the top of the case off, screw it down from inside, and then remount the top of the case.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    Dodge....I looked into some more forums about the question i had...someone else had the exact same problem as I did. My kit should have had screws and mounting brackets than screw into 4 tiny holes on the bottomside of the amp. So you were right about that. The problem with not having the brackets is that for my application, its impossible to mount the amps from underneath so im **** out of luck without those brackets. I called hifonics today and they told me i have to deal with the people whom i bought the amp from. So i guess my question wasnt so stupid afterall...now i just hope that i didnt misplace those damn screws, cause i was so pumped with all these packages coming in the mail that i just ripped em open, so i guess i kinda am stupid huh :mad: .....but while im doing my bitching....i might as well ask one more question.
    I pulled my doorpanels off today and ran new speaker wire to the doors and also dynamatted them at the same time....i temporarily hooked up my hifonics to the speakers just to make sure everything went ok, and i noticed some noise in my tweeters, gains are way down so it wasnt that. It wasnt so much a hiss, but sounded almost like it was trying to play a lil bit to much bass? Like a tad bit of distortion. I was playing my amp on full bandwidth but the crossover in my door should only be sending the highs to my tweeters....its hard to pinpoint where the problem might be cause i ripped out my entire system and installed a lot of new stuff, including a head unit. Any thoughts on where the noise might be coming from let me know... :(

ps...its not a really loud noise, it still sounds good, but its noticeable when i stick my ear right up next to the tweeter...
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    And yet another story to scare the hell out of me about ordering stuff online!

I wouldnt sweat the noise right now since you dont have anything really installed yet. It couldve been a power wire too close to an interconnect , shabby ground or possibly a vibration from the way you had the tweeter mounted. No telling yet at this point. Id wait til you get everything layed out and hooked up with a good solid install first then start tweaking and listening for bugs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    Haha the sad thing is macleod.....that im not even sure it was the senders fault....I dont remember what all was in the box when i opened it up cause i was so excited. It may have been my own dumb fault. But i cant complain about buying it online, becasue sounddomain.com sells this amp for $475, and i got mine off ebay for $215 brand new. Thats alot of money saved so i guess i cant complain i have no mounting brackets lol....ill get some from somewhere i hope....
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    hey you can always call mtx -- 1800CALLMTX -- and tell them that you accidently broke the feet for you thunder 204 amplifier and need some of the flat iso mount feet... they'll send you a couple for free -- i've done it -- oh say 3 or 4 times already... heh heh heh... feet are feet
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    hahaha.....sounds like its worth a shot. I ll let you know how it goes...
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2004
    PBD,

Boy you sure are hard on your audio gear!!

Im almost afraid to ask, but how the hell do you break mounting brackets for amps; not just once but 3 or 4 times?!?! LOL!!! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Gringo
    edited April 2004
    LoL hey pbd......

Good news man, wrote an email to mtx 2 days ago, and yesterday they shipped out my mounting brackets for that hifonics...oops i mean 204 thunder. Hehe....ill let ya know if they fit alright, hopefully theyll be here tomorrow.

Peace and thanks again,
    mike
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    LOLOL!!!!

Thats hillarious dude! Thats a nice piece of advice Ill have to keep in mind!