Tri-amped RTi A7

Options
13»

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Y’all are most welcome.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Posting the belated* narrative* of another session that simply confirms: “pluggin” your mids is a great idea. *early last week

This time I listened to Dave Grusin's "Mountain Dance" plus a couple of other on GRP releases. As before I experienced sounds, musical textures, & details particularly from the acoustic instruments.

Same details as before:
    To minimize distractions, I limited output to just the mids, played the tracks on my Blu-ray player, bare floor, & I still struggle to get the living room to myself. Having my grandsons around more* during the week*, adds to the problem. *helping w/ limited daycare and pre-school transportation

Until next time or post next mod…
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    plugging *and* foaming......no? :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Foaming yes!

So sorry to forget about your help George - thank you.

Together pluggin’ n foamin’ are awesome!
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Two more session reviews that simply confirms: “pluggin” & “foaming” your mids is a great idea.

Both sessions: amps idling over an hour prior & no tweeters. 2nd session with & w/out woofers for for fun & evaluation respectively

1. I gave another listen to Dave Grusin's "Discovered Again*" on Sheffield.
    2. The other session I listened to The Rippingtons, “Kilimanjaro*” on Passport Jazz, “Tourist in Paradise*” on GRP, and a couple of gospel tracks** both R&B influenced. First (a) was BeBe & CeCe Winans‘ “I’ll take you there,” second, (b) Mary Mary’s “Shackles.”

*solo instruments and drums/percussion more “in-room.” More “there” - space & distinction of acoustic instruments as before.
    a. I confess I this was my first listen since Tri-amping them. Pre-Tri, during the bridge Cece’s vocal was “challenging.” Just as post-Tri but more so, vocals are right there - defined, smoother still, out front. All instruments each had their space.
    b. My first listen since post break-in, but pre-mods and Rotel pre/pro. My interest in this track was the continuous “claps” supporting the rhythm. Way back when they sounded synthesized, HARD and painful at just above moderate volume settings.

For both a & b, I [then] blamed the tweeters and the top of the mid’s range having heard them alone. As I’ve beaten to death, going active helped CeCe a lot; foaming helped her a bit more and both make the clapping sound like hands. I can now enjoy both tracks’ Rhythm section pressurizing the house in-room!

Get to foaming’ and pluggin’. Add XO upgrades to that, either active or passive, if music from your RTi/RTi A series speakers’ upper end is “challenging!”

Tony
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    So far both mods have cleaned-up 3 different types of Polk drivers. If someone sent me an Lsim driver, I'd design/machine a set for those drivers too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    So Tony @gp4jesus have you listened to your entire speakers yet, as in tweeters, mids, and woofers? Was that in the 2nd session test sequence? :) Glad it is working out for you. Something like 7 out of 7 I think.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @xschop Congrats! Please anticipate “pluggin’” a pair of RTi A 5 1/4” mids early next year. VC may be smaller but otherwise appears very similar to its 6 1/2” brethren

@Gardenstater Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Sorry I was unclear on the “tweeterless” second session.

Primary reason for continued tweeter-less sessions is to minimize distractions & masking. Also I haven’t run the RTA since the mods. The third… I think one of the tweeters (RH) may be on the way out. Fortunately I have spares.

Wife gonna run 3 yr old grandson to pre-school shortly. The 25+ minute round trip will allow confirmation.

(15-20 minutes later…) irrefutably the right channel tweeter is severely attenuated. Lchan @ -45 ~= to Rchal @ -20.

Replacement in the works anyway…

Thanks for keeping me honest, George.

Tony
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Not at all Tony, I was just interested and wanted to make sure I understood completely. 👌👊
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    @Gardenstater I listened more later….

First to the Lch and then the Rch. After switching between them another time or two as well as playing them together, I couldn’t help but notice they sounded a little fat. And by itself sans woofers, the Lch’s was a bit bright.

Only then I remembered you warned the foaming may attenuate the mids… …which it did!

RTA time!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Tony in my case and with my crude measurement technique, I was able to measure a 0.4dB attenuation averaged across the entire whitenoise spectrum. It would be very cool to have been able to do before and afters A/B with just a narrower band of spectrum. I don't know if I could've customized a test file from one of the downloadable sites. Maybe next time.

I notice a great deal more vocal clarity etc.. You have proven that you have sensitive ears and it is nice that you have the external crossover to tweak.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Another review, days after the event. Just as the previous sessions, get to “pluggin’ & foamin’.

This session in two parts enjoying “GRP Live in session.” Part one, mids only. Part two included woofers. Of particular interest was Diane Schurr’s scream at the finish of “Reverend Lee.”

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tony
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options
    Hey man, Tony, if you're looking for another project.....you can get your hands on my A9's......4 of em :#
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Hey man, Tony, if you're looking for another project.....you can get your hands on my A9's......4 of em :#
    LOL… you’re funny!

The A7s were easy compared to the 9s* because of a few unanswered questions about them*. I started a text file on my w/ thoughts mostly for the owner IF I were to take on such a ginormous project.

Thoughts to follow.

Buon Natale (Merry Christmas)

Tony
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Tri-amp RTi A9s. And not just two but FOUR RTi A9s!

Bottom line: I believe “9s” will require quad-amping. Just finding the means to EXO them correctly may just be a challenge all it’s own!

An introductory extract of a much longer but incomplete writing. “For starters, electronically XOing the mids correctly calls for answers from the 1 or 2 Polkies that have dissected its XO. Did Polk cascade them like the CSi A6 mids (eg 1.5 Khz & 3.8Khz)? Or did they LP them at the same frequency?”
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    Rtia9 mids are high passed and are in their own sealed enclosure
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder of those details, Trey. Do you know if…
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Correction*
    “Did Polk cascade them like the CSi A6 mids (eg LP* 1.5 Khz & 3.8Khz)? Or did they LP them at the same frequency?”

Thanks

• gp4jesus
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I think the RH tweeter may be on the way out…

…the right channel tweeter’s….
    …amp cable needed repair!

No more tweeterless listening!

Now to get Janet & the kids outta the house and the RTA into the living room…

Tony
  • VR3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I don't recall exact frequencies but if I had to take a shot in the dark the mids are probably crossed around 300hz.

The Rtia9 is a true 3 way
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Just checked Polk says hi pass 120hz
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I don't recall exact frequencies but if I had to take a shot in the dark the mids are probably crossed around 300hz.

The Rtia9 is a true 3 way

Huh!?!......my girlfriend once promised me a true 3 way.......never knew what she meant by that :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • VR3
    Options
    She was an audiophile and you didn't even know it!
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    She was an audiophile and you didn't even know it!

Actually, you don't know how right you are. My ex, who once leaned over to tell me, inside a movie theater, "your set up is so much better than this", had an incredible ear. The poor thing, God bless her black stained heart, wouldn't have noticed if I had turned my entire set up, upside down, but one tweak to the audio, a repositioning of the speakers, experimenting with new cables, etc etc, and she'd say, "you did something didn't you, it sounds different." So yes sir, she was an audiophile and no sir, I didn't know it.

• VR3
    Options
    The crazy hot equation must have been off!
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    @Geoff4rfc et al

PLEASE no more non relevant RTi A7 replies. Feel free to start new thread*.

I’m all in to discuss tri-amping ‘A9s (or anything else) in a separate thread. I’ll look into having the A9 relevant replies moved to the above*.

Thanks so much. Tony
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    @Geoff4rfc et al

PLEASE no more non relevant RTi A7 replies. Feel free to start new thread*.

I’m all in to discuss tri-amping ‘A9s (or anything else) in a separate thread. I’ll look into having the A9 relevant replies moved to the above*.

Thanks so much. Tony

Uhh, sorry Tony, my bad. rock on

• gp4jesus
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Uhh, sorry Tony, my bad. rock on

No harm, no foul G.

When the thread “crashed,” it was time. I’d love to discuss the possibilities…

… on another thread.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Last weekend I had enough peace at home to complete the next small upgrade.

I connected their XO to their MT amps w/Premier* series XLR->RCA - very inexpensive yet well worth the trouble. They* replaced homemade that relied upon Circa 90s triple conductor Monster Cable (YIKES!) w/FXLRs** on the XO ends
    **very cheap but they held up

Of course break-in is still in front of me but right away from mid midrange & above, smoother, hearing things for the first time on VERY familiar sources.

Meanwhile I’ll climb into and close the hatch of my Abrams M1A2 battle tank for protection from the tomatoes and other fallout