Yamaha TX-540 Tuner Static

Options
I have a Yamaha TX-540 tuner that works great for a while and then nothing but static on all channels. If I turn it off and right back on I still get static.

Before I crack the case and look around can someone throw me a bone as to what to look for first?

Thanks
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    I don't have much knowledge of tuners or electronics, much less your particular tuner, and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I had something similar happen on an old Hafler tuner. Once it cooled enough it would work. I was told it was probably the antenna amplification circuit, and likely related to a bad capacitor. Either the cap fails once it gets warm, or a transistor that overheats from an out of spec. cap feeding it . It could be a resistor or transistor, but a bad cap is the most likely culprit. Once something is getting warm enough it quits. The estimated repair cost in parts was low, the time to find the issue was expensive.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited November 2016
    Options
    take it to www.fmtunerinfo.com

Those guys over there are legit. they will have the answer soon
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    thanks guys
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"