Portable setups

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited November 2016 in Headphones
Looking/thinking/pondering again about building out a decent mid-fi system at work.

Looking for something portable(ish). Can sit on my desk 24/7, or come and go with me.

What are you guys using for your setup?

I "thought" my iPhone 6+ would work decent for holding my music, but turns out I either need pair DOWN the amount of music I have on it (so I can keep it at its standard CD resolution) or get a different source....

So I'd love to know what you guys are using to see if someone has a setup that I think would work for me to copy.

I keep debating just bringing my Cambridge Audio Sonata SR20 to work and plugging in my iPhone + headphones but I'm curious what else is out there.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My work rig is not especially portable, but as far as music storage goes, I have a USB hardrive hooked to one of my less taxed work PC's which is running Foobar2000. Also stream from Tidal as well. Is connecting an external drive to your work machine an option?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Is connecting an external drive to your work machine an option?

Wish it was. Would make it SO MUCH EASIER!

I see you've got a Furman AC-215 or 215A, a DAC of some sort, and a Schitt headphone amp (not sure which one)....

Whats the DAC and which Schitt you got?

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Schitt Asgard2, SMSL M8 DAC, Furman AC-215, Cullan Cable Crossover interconnects, and an Audioquest Forest USB cable
  • DaveHo
    Options
    How about bringing in your own laptop and this little guy for a DAC/Amp?

Shameless plug: forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174782/hifimediy-sabre-u2-async-usb-dac
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Endershadow, I"m currently using a Marshall Monitor headphone hooked up to a Focusrite 2i4 pulling music from my desktop. I like the Focusrite in a sense that it doesn't require a seperate power supply. That's pretty portable in my book. I like the sound that is coming from it. Vocals are great but a tad on the bright side. Had headphones from Denon, Monster, and Dre Beats but I perfer the Marshall more. Grab one and try it if you have a Costco nearby. They have a great return policy but for me these aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hmm
    I think Schitt and Fiio own this field.
    At work I have a fiio desktop amp that a portable Dac/amp docks into.

Check out the updated version of what I use.

Dock $109
    http://m.fiio.net/en/products/46

Portable starts at $550
    http://m.fiio.net/en/products/45

Amps,remotes,accrssories
    http://m.fiio.net/en/products/49#AM3
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Do any of you use a Fiio player? if so which ones and how do you like them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2