Foam for NHT 3.3 2.9

Anyone on here own a set of NHT 3.3 or 2.9 with the foam for anti diffraction rotted or falling off? If so I have found a method of cutting foam that looks and sounds stock and is easy to replace. I can send you some of the ones I have for free. You must be a current member though. Pics.
P1030507_zpsjznyzxkt.jpg
P1030506_zpsxtbmigqa.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I never realized those came with foam anti diffraction strips.

You did an excellent job making those, that stuff isn't easy to cut and make it look good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Thanks, mine did not look that bad but was rotten anyway. I took the grill off one day and my finger caught it and a big chunk was gone. So I took it off and thought, it cant make that much difference. it did. I tried some weather stripping that was close but really didn't sound like it did. I made a metal template to the exact size and clamped it down on a plastic cutting board making it almost flat then used a rotary razor cutter.
  • F1nut
    Ah, so that's how to do it. Thanks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zarrdoss
    I actually used a piece of MDF at first but switched after the first two.P1030494_zps2o17qx1y.jpg
  • F1nut
    Did you make the metal template or have someone make it?

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Cool technique.

I have a little pair of NHTs (1.3a) in my bedroom setup that I've been enjoying for several years. They didn't have the anti-diffraction foam, however; that came with the 1.5 and its larger brethren. Always have had a jonesing for the 2.9/3.3, but there's zero chance they'd work in my house.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • zarrdoss
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did you make the metal template or have someone make it?

I made it out of some 1/4" sheet bronze, it was pretty easy.
  • zarrdoss
    agfrost wrote: »
    Cool technique.

I have a little pair of NHTs (1.3a) in my bedroom setup that I've been enjoying for several years. They didn't have the anti-diffraction foam, however; that came with the 1.5 and its larger brethren. Always have had a jonesing for the 2.9/3.3, but there's zero chance they'd work in my house.

Thanks, These were the one speaker my wife kind of objected to because of the depth. We actually re-arranged the living room to accommodate them easier. But I tried them in my 2 channel room and liked them better there. They can be a pain to set up and picky on associated equipment but when you get it all dialed in they really shine.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    Rotary knife on compressed foam! Nice job. Cutting foam rubber with a sliding knife blade is difficult even with a new blade.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Hi do you have a pair left My nht 3.3 needs new ones
  • JdeJ
    JdeJ Posts: 1
    Hey "Doss". I left a message in your mailbox asking if you are still doing the foams. I obtained a pair of 2.9's recently with the foam rotted off. If you are still doing them, I would be proud to remunerate you for a pair. Thx
  • Hi Doss -- same here for me. I need a pair of these foam diffraction strips. If you're still doing them, please let me know. Thanks very much. I'm located in Pittsburgh.
  • minibsa
    minibsa Posts: 1
    Hello
    Zardoss
    Looks like you could make yourself a nice little cottage industry with the diffraction foam stripes
    There are plenty of happy NHT 3.3 owners out there with rotting foam stripes that are in need of your services..( as am i). If you are still making them I'm happy to pay for them with of course shipping
    thanks so much
    P