Having fun mastering a recording with SDAs as monitors

Options
I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to sit in front of some SDAs with a mixer board and a pre-mastered recording and play around with the left/right balance of individual instruments on separate tracks in real time. Seems to me if you had, say, 7 instruments on 7 different tracks you could develop some very precise imaging across the entire soundstage (which with SDAs in some listening spaces could be 20+ feet wide.)

For instance:
Instrument 1: Left channel 100%, Right channel 0%
Instrument 2: L 83.5%, R 16.5%
Instrument 3: L 66.5%, R 33.5%
Instrument 4 : L 50%, R 50%
Instrument 5 : L 33.5%, R 66.5%
Instrument 6 : L 16.5%, R 83.5%
Instrument 7 : L 0%, R 100%

Or it seems like it would be cool to just pan certain instruments left and right just for fun to see what the SDAs do with it. Anybody with a multi-track mixer do this with their SDAs?

Full disclosure: I thought of this while under the influence of… certain substances, and my knowledge of recording/mastering is limited. Maybe this wouldn’t even work.

Comments

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    ^^ This is a great idea (having some experience in recording and live sound)! and I'll definitely give it a shot as soon as I get my SDA CRSs up and running. (And Purchase the necessary gear to preform these actions). Here we go further down that rabbit hole!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    step_away_from_the_bong.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    @Nightfall , I'm currently at work :|
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    Sorry, not you. Rex81 :p
    Full disclosure: I thought of this while under the influence of… certain substances
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Sorry, not you. Rex81 :p
    Full disclosure: I thought of this while under the influence of… certain substances

Hey, I didn't say which substances... could've been green tea. ;)
  • Rex81
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    ^^ This is a great idea (having some experience in recording and live sound)! and I'll definitely give it a shot as soon as I get my SDA CRSs up and running. (And Purchase the necessary gear to preform these actions). Here we go further down that rabbit hole!

Let us know how it turns out!
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »

Copy that. It'll be a while. If I had to guess it'll probably be after spring next year before I get that gear. I'm Going to listen the CRSs in stock form for a while. In the mean time I'll be shifting my focus on modding my ride till then.

Are you using PC based recording programs or MAC.. . Apple?
  • Rex81
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Rex81 wrote: »

Copy that. It'll be a while. If I had to guess it'll probably be after spring next year before I get that gear. I'm Going to listen the CRSs in stock form for a while. In the mean time I'll be shifting my focus on modding my ride till then.

Are you using PC based recording programs or MAC.. . Apple?

That's cool. It's just something I was curious about.

I'm not doing any recording or mastering. I just listen. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had done it.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I hope you brought enough of that substance for everyone....
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    ^^ I know right! I love a nice hot glass of green tea when I'm listening to the stereo rig.