New generation of OPPO players

Any one else considering it.

This looks like my next audio outlay...which may be the beginning of the never ending cycle of upgrades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWi-8kiIhA
AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
Source:OPPO UDP-203

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,474
    Confirmed on Oppo's site for possible release late this year but subject to change:

http://www.oppodigital.com/uhd/
  • Emlyn
    Looks like it will be equivalent to the BDP-103 in terms of audio and build quality with the video section upgraded. No balanced analog output section like the BDP-105. Should be easy for them to get out by the end of the year.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,357
    No DVD-Audio support.......this time around so I'm thinking they are done with that. too bad! Many here have like myself a large collection of DVD-Audio.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Oppo posted on Facebook saying they were trying to get the 203 out by the end of the year and then they will release a 205 three or four months later.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Emlyn
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    No DVD-Audio support.......this time around so I'm thinking they are done with that. too bad! Many here have like myself a large collection of DVD-Audio.

That's weird. Seems like they could just do a firmware update for that, or maybe they think the format isn't big enough to do the programming. I guess they had to switch to a different disc drive to do 4K, so maybe that is only set up for SACD from the older audio formats. DVD-Audio is still a live format with some limited releases still being published. I have around 50 or so, but buy high res downloads if the choice now is between a DVD-Audio disc or downloaded version.

I will most likely just get a 203 for home theater and move my 105 to a two channel audio system.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,114
    I wonder if the 205 will include analog outs? If it does not that would be a deal breaker for me. If it does then I would sell my 105D, and get a 205 looking forward for a 205 release, if it has analog outs that is.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Emlyn
    The 203 has a full set of 7.1 RCA outputs. Doing that sets Oppo apart from the cheapo players. I still have a DV-983H region free DVD player that works like a champ and has the analog outs. I suspect the 205 would be very similar in layout to the 105.
  • From this link "The player also supports 2D and 3D Blu-ray, DVD Video/Audio, SACD and CD. "

https://www.avforums.com/news/first-look-at-the-oppo-udp-203-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.12972
  • Emlyn
    I also like the link on the avforums page to a new Sony ES 4K player due out Spring 2017.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    edited September 2016
    If all you're looking for is a 4k Bluray player with HDR (high dynamic range color) that uses HDMI you can get the Xbox One S for only $299 which also does 4k Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/YouTube/video files off USB or network. Probably $200 cheaper than the Oppo will be. Oh yeah, and it plays modern video games too.

For most people with average size TV's, HDR is going to make a bigger difference than 4k vs 1080p.

that-sounds-great-lets-see-some-examples.jpg
    Post edited by Nightfall on
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    Some shots a friend got at CEDIA...

v1eo5lzzking.jpg
    eve2gvlnt11m.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Dumb question, but does HDR require a HDR capable TV? IE if I have a 1080p 3D TV, will I realize any actual benefits with HDR or not?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,357
    Dumb question, but does HDR require a HDR capable TV? IE if I have a 1080p 3D TV, will I realize any actual benefits with HDR or not?

believe so Dan. My Panasonic plasma has a "deep Color" I can turn on and off do not know if it is something similar to HDR without the range.
  • Dumb question, but does HDR require a HDR capable TV? IE if I have a 1080p 3D TV, will I realize any actual benefits with HDR or not?

i wondered about the same question.
    According to this piece on CNET, it looks as if you TV has to support it.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/will-you-want-hdr-in-your-next-tv-and-what-is-hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-opentab/
  • Emlyn
    HDR requires a TV set that supports HDR. My 2 year old 4K LCD does not, but the updated model released last year does. A 2016 model 4K should have some type of HDR capability, but not all do. There is also more than one type of HDR, so there is a format war that needs to shake out again. I think Oppo is saying the 203 supports HDR10 initially and will support Dolby Vision with a firmware update later on. I suspect HDR10 will be most used.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,258
    edited September 2016
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a

@EndersShadow
    HDR stands for High Dynamic Range which in the case of video is the difference between the darkest and brightest parts of the program material. Standard defimition and High definition have built in limits to how dark amd how bright the picture can get. HDR signals get darker and MUCH brighter. They require the source and especially the display device to be compatible
    There are currently two HDR standards. Dolby Vision is one and HDR10 I believe is the more common one.
  • HDR is only part of the 4K standard and not the HDTV or SDTV standards
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    This is great news as I was just thinking that it's about time for a new source and 4k being a plus. Sadley I think I read that the Oppo will not support DVD-audio.

I like the idea and convenience of a single universal player for A/V. This from the guy that still has a HD-DVD player in the stack. So guess keeping the Denon DVD2910 in the mix is not a big deal for DVD-audio.

Guess I need to make the hole in the wall bigger. I don't even have the amp in there yet. Its on the other side of the wall.

qw0k8uy5d65w.jpg

Its a work in progress.