An odd "tool" for headphone users

Options
ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,556
Would you like to listen to headphones on an amp that has no headphone jack? One of the guys at the Bottlehead forum dreamed this up. Cheap and easy. It might not sound the greatest depending on the impedance of the amp and the headphones used. I found that it worked great for adjusting the hum pots on my Stereomour. Obviously you MUST have a volume control in the chain somewhere or you'll blow the headphones right off your head and possibly your ear drums with them.

1nr9nkzhm6cs.jpg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Considering most headphones have a max input in the hundreds of milliwatts, seems it would be tough to control volume.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @ALL212

There is actually another device you can buy called a "Can Opener" that lets you piggy back off the speaker inputs on your amp to run a set of headphones. Not 10 bucks, but also not a couple hundred.......

Same caveat, must have volume control somewhere in the chain.

DSCN0159-312x225.jpg

DSCN0162-227x158.jpg

If you're serious about headphones, the Can Opener is a “must have”
    accessory that lets you directly connect your favorite cans to the speaker
    terminals of most stereo amplifiers.

The Can Opener bypasses the sub-par active headphone jack circuitry that
    is typically found in most receivers and integrated amps to ensure the best
    possible headphone listening experience at home. The Can Opener may
    also be used to add headphone functionality to stand-alone stereo power
    amplifiers since these components do not typically have headphone jack
    circuitry.

High-quality, passive components combined with a precision, all-metal
    Neutrik locking ¼-inch headphone jack ensure the integrity of the audio
    signal from the amplifier speaker outputs to your headphones.

Open your cans, man!

Lets you safely connect headphones directly to stereo amplifier
    speaker outputs
    Bypasses internal amplifier headphone jack circuitry
    Uses no active components – requires no power
    5-way binding posts for use with all types of speaker cable and
    connectors
    Designed and Manufactured in USA

Enclosure: Laser-cut 20 g steel with black texture powder coat finish
    and titanium black gloss epoxy silkscreen printing
    Dimensions: 5-1/8” D x 4-3/4” W x 1-3/4” H
    Net Weight: 16 oz
    Connectors: Banana plug 5-way speaker terminals;
    Precision metal Neutrik ¼-inch locking headphone jack
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Considering most headphones have a max input in the hundreds of milliwatts, seems it would be tough to control volume.

The first 1/4 turn of most volume controls only puts out a very small output. I found on my amp I could easily go past 9.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The "best" way to do it is with a little resistor network in your "box"... this protects both the amplifier & the headphones (oh, and, umm, potentially the listener's ears, too).

This may also be readily DIY'd -- i.e., if you can solder, why buy a 'black box'? ;)

http://sound.whsites.net/project100.htm

p100-f1.gif

The values for R1 and R3 (and the power rating for R2) are tabulated in the link to provide an appropriate output power for input from power amps from 10* to 250 W.

Probably worth noting that the designed headphone output impedance (Zout) is nominally about 120 ohms, give or take. A little reflection on Ohm's Law allows one to adjust the value of R2 (ahem and R1 and R3, too, of course) if need be to suit headphones that might be happy with a higher or lower Zout.

_________
    * Some folks have amps of less than 10wpc -- just sayin' ;)
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    never crossed my mind...
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    Options
    Since my headphones are balanced, I'm using 4 pole XLR connectors between my amp/speakers/and headphones. Makes swapping between the two pretty easy.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche