REVIEW: Musical Fidelity A3CR preamp

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
a3cr.jpg

Model: A3CR (Has been replaced by the MF A3.2CR)

Cost: Approx $1595.00 retail

Features:
Remote control
Inputs: Phono, CD, SACD, Tuner, Tape, Aux
Monitor: Tape
Outputs: 1 set of preamp outs
Dual-choke regulated independant power supplies, each channel
Removable IEC power cord

Build:
28lbs, heavily constructed. Feels like an integrated amp. Chasis is a little deeper than typical, so you may have problems fitting into a smaller rack; width is standard 17". Front plate is 1/4" thick and has a heavy brushed aluminum finish with gold accents around the volume knob and along the bottom.

Listening:
What can I say that hasn't already been echoed by many other reviews? Dead quiet background, outstanding soundstage and imaging that put you in, not in front of, the performance. The best I've heard. A touch to the warm side of nuetral, without losing any resolution or articulation. Deep reaching yet well controlled bass. Glorious tubelike midrange, and absolutely crisp, grainless highs.

Pros:
Build quality/Athestics
Sound
Performance to cost ratio

Cons:
Cheeseball 18awg power cord (on a $1500 preamp? Shame on MF!)
Only 1 set of preamp outs (a con for some)

Conclusion:
What really impressed me was how close the performance of the $250 Parasound PHP-850 was to this highly rated, $1500 preamp. Sure, the A3CR is awesome and betters the Parasound...but the PHP comes alot closer than you might think, for a whole lot less money. If I hadn't got mine for $620, I might be a little upset.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    but the PHP comes alot closer than you might think, for a whole lot less money.

Law of diminishing return, there is great gear for a few hundred dollars, then to get a small improvement in sound you got to dig deep in them pockets.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The PHP is outstanding IMHO and I am so lucky Steve sold it to me and I am extremely pleased with my 15TL's. The 8T's are moving into bedroom duty.

Thanks Bud!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I found a used PHP-850 at a dealer about a week ago. It was a 6 year old model. They were selling it for $250.

I went in there armed with a printout from the Parasound website as well as Audioadvisor.com showing that a brand new PHP-850, with 5 year warranty, sells for $250.

After I showed the dicknose salesman this, he said he could sell it to me for $200. I said I'd think about it if he sold it to me for $200 out the door (about $184 + $16 tax). He said he couldn't do it, that they had taken the unit in on a trade, and had $200 into it. I told him he got ripped off, and that I wasn't going to pay $200 + tax (about $216) for a six year old Preamp with no warranty when I could get a brand new one for $250.

Needless to say I was disappointed. I almost got a PHP-850, but the deal was sour.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    You can usually get one on ebay for about $165 or so, sometimes better. It's a steal at full retail. I'd just pay the $250 and get a new one, that way you're getting the 10 year warranty with it....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2004
    Options
    oh yes, i agree. it is a steal even at $250. i didn't know it was a 10 year warrany. smokes, maybe that 6 year old model at the shop still has a valid warranty... hhmmmm

I think I would rather get a new one though...
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I would purchase at http://www.audioadvisor.com they have great customer service and fast shipping...
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Cheeseball 18awg power cord (on a $1500 preamp? Shame on MF!)

Here's your problem. ;) MF expects you won't use the generic one it comes with.

You need to start shopping for a new power cord. I can't speak for the pre so much but it made a world of a difference on my integrated.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I've got 3 nice ac cables coming bubba. Even my $250 Parasound came with a respectable 16awg iec cable....sheesh....
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good stuff then. :)

All the talk in the thread was about the pre when it could be better served with a different power cord. I didn't mean any disrespect.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    At retail - musical fidelity is mediocre at best.

EXCUSE ME!?! Sean what have you been smoking???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Good stuff then. :)

All the talk in the thread was about the pre when it could be better served with a different power cord. I didn't mean any disrespect.

None taken, my point is for $1500, you shouldn't have to run out and buy a decent power cord...
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    EXCUSE ME!?! Sean what have you been smoking???

...that's what I was thinking too, but everyone has their opinion. I would never spend the kind of money it would take to better the A3CR.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Very nice equipment, and mini review.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.