Rudy van Gelder passes into history

Options
Chances are, if you have any jazz records made in the golden age of audio a few were engineered by Rudy van Gelder who started recording in his parent's living room.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/arts/music/rudy-van-gelder-audio-engineer-who-helped-define-sound-of-jazz-on-record-dies-at-91.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Home

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like this bit here...
    Mr. Van Gelder, as he took pains to explain to interviewers, was an engineer and not a producer. He was not in charge of the sessions he recorded; he did not hire the musicians or play any role in choosing the repertoire. But he had the final say in what the records sounded like, and he was, in the view of countless producers, musicians and listeners, better at that than anyone.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can clearly remember hearing Wes Montgomery's album, "Down Here On The Ground" on CTI and being amazed at how good it sounded. All the instruments seemed to be more projected from the record, more in the room with me and real. That sound combined with the beautiful Pete Turner photograph on the cover just made it so much better than any other record I had, at the time. I started looking for any CTI record I could find, I didn't know I was hearing jazz or how great these musicians were, I was hooked on the sound. So, Rudy and Pete and Creed Taylor were responsible for me collecting records and tapes.
    Thanks, Rudy!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Sorry to hear of Rudy's passing. Like you Ken, I have several superb recordings he put his Midas' touch on. RIP

I never met him, but have an amusing story regarding him. When we resided in Maryland, the Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis was our favorite haunt for live music. We made a friend there that, over time, allowed us to enter the venue early and listen to sound checks and warm-ups. We were doing just that before a performance by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and it was obvious John was aware that we were the only ones seated. He kept glancing at us rather nervously and, finally, whispered something to his bass player at the time (Hank Van Sickle) who came off the stage and approached our table. We thought we were being kicked out but, to my surprise, Hank addressed me as "Mr. Van Gelder" and asked if we would like to come backstage and meet John. I laughed out loud (knowing who Rudy was) and introduced my wife and myself. I explained that, although not "Mr. Van Gelder", I was in fact a 40 year fan of John's and was really looking forward to the show.

It turned out to be a fantastic performance and we were pleasantly surprised to be invited backstage afterward by Hank and met John and the rest of the Bluesbreakers. Needless to say, a very memorable evening--thanks to Rudy Van Gelder! B)

I haven't looked for the pics we took that night with John, Buddy, Hank and Joe in awhile. If I can spot them, I'll post a few in this thread.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Great story, Blue, you must have a resemblance to RvG? Your avatar looks like a Pete Turner photo.
    Here's an interview with Pete Turner:
    http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/04/pete-turner-cti.html
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Ken, the avatar is a pared-down version of the album art for Hamilton Loomis' "All Fired Up" (Ham Bone Records, 1999). Enjoyed the Pete Turner link. Thank you!

artworks-000051943393-e7xlw7-t500x500.jpg
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Here's a photo of the night John Mayall mistook me for Rudy. I don't see the resemblence but, hey, it worked out well.

p70aatz34lte.jpg
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    Great story, Blue! Rams Head is a great place to catch a show.

Reading through some of the stories since RVG passed, he was responsible for the sound of some of the great jazz albums ever. A Love Supreme being my favorite. RIP.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco