New db6500/db675 Owner [Long]

CowboyDren
CowboyDren Posts: 6
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've always loved the EX series. Disappointed to see the EX die, until I figured out that DBs are superior in every way by the statistics. Hmm...maybe you shouldn't name product lines so closely (DX vs. DB was what confused me). Anyway...

I know that these are budget-conscious speakers, and that's why a brokass like me got them; no money for amps, need lots of sensitivity, and so on. I was a little disappointed by the lack of information and obvious configurability, especially with the 6500s. I didn't expect a "birth certificate", but it would have been nice to see a graphical chart with "typical" frequency responses for the components, just so that I know where to start tweaking the EQ settings on my Alpine CDA-9815. For the db675s; who cares? It's just a coaxial, but I spent twice as much money on the 6500s, and I had hoped for more out-of-the-box support. :(

Enough griping. Time for questions:
  • Is there some information on the web somewhere that does have the frequency response curves I'm looking for?
  • Can you offer some pointers on my setup anyway?
  • Why can't I buy midbasses seperately anymore, dammit? ;)
I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra, which has pillar-mounted tweeters and a factory "subwoofer" (6.5" 1-ohm midbass attached to a dedicated 100w amplifier, bolted to the bottom side of the package tray). As noted above, I installed a very high-powered deck with a 7-band EQ to try and get the most out of my factory speaker locations. I'm really not keen on cutting holes in my door skins, sail trim, or stuff like that. Hell, I haven't even pulled the A-pillar skins off yet to see the angle of the factory tweeters. I'm not much help, am I?

With my speaker selection, in factory locations, am I going to expect any acoustical wierdness? Am I going to want to reverse phase on one or both drivers at the crossover? Am I just beeing a paranoid geek? Does anyone have a set of db6750 midbasses they want to let go for cheap? :D
-=|JP|=-
Post edited by CowboyDren on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    I doubt youll find much info on frequency curves on these speakers. Mainly because these arent high end or competition level speakers and so theres probalby not much research on them. However I could be wrong so it wont hurt to look around.

You should keep in mind that each speaker will sound differently in a different car so there wont be a universal technique for tuning. Also some speakers excell at some types of music and suck at others. Like Infinity is extremyl bright and thus sounds like **** with heavy guitars but sound good with jazz and such. MB Quart on the other hand is extremely detailed and uncolored and so goes very well with heavy metal. I guess what Im trying to say is that listen to your ears. Just start tweaking your EQ and youll eventually find the sweet spot.

Sticking coaxials in the stock location wont be the best way to do it. They wont sound like crap but youll be missing out on some. Mainly because of the tweeters firing into your leg. Higher frequencies are very directional and dont work well off axis. Seeing as how youve already bought the coaxials Id say dont sweat it, its not the end of the world.

Midbass speakers are readily available from the high end manufactuers like MB Quart, Kicker and the like but unfortunately not from Polk at least not yet. Youll just have to look to other makers or do like you said and try to snag a DB comp mid on Ebay or something.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CowboyDren
    edited March 2004
    Sorry, the 6500 is a component, and those are going up front, in all four stock locations up front. ;) The factory tweeter is in the A-pillar. I'm sure the image will be fine (pretty good with the stock speakers, actually), I'm just worried about how sharp or dull the front image will be, hence my concern about the crossover included in the box. The rear deck is getting the 675 coaxials.

I actually had two speakers in mind; the DB and the Infinity Reference. Hearing them back-to-back on the same demoboard, though, the choice was easy. DBs have a much sweeter sound to them, making the References just sound like a dissonnant cymbal clang.

Fiddling with the EQ on my 9815 is not my idea of fun... ;)
    -=|JP|=-
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Why can't I buy midbasses seperately anymore, dammit?

What's that now? Some one wants a seperate mid-bass speaker?

But according to Polk there's no market for it anymore!

Don't mind me, just bein' a jerk.

BTW, Vinnie taught me and he's the best jerk I know!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    lol
    youre certainly not going to have a market for them at circuit city
    is it really true polk is pulling out of CC???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    pfft... market shmarket -- i bitched for XYZ years that polk needed to bring back a 300-ish watt sub that was along the lines of the old db/dx... sure enough, out come the momo "carbon fiber" or as i prefer to call them (affectionately) the "baby momo's" ... i like em... sound freakin GREAT, and from what i've seen at circuit ****, they're selling well.

far as the midbass -- i have agree / half dont -- there probably isn't a market for selling polk db junior or momo component separates (midbass or just tweet or just whatever) in a store / mass retail. i agree w/ polk on that... however!!!!! i dont see why polk couldn't sell them "factory direct" at a reasonable price so that the couple of people who did want to pazazz up their systems could do so without buying two or three sets of components just to get a few midbasses.

i think they do sell them separately actually (from polk) but the cost is insane -- for example.. cody's tweeter... they wanted like 100 bucks for one tweeter... that's crazyness... 135 for two midbasses / 99 for two tweeters would be much more reasonable.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    agreed...ill pay 100 bones for 2 tweeters...f*ck paying 100 bucks for one though
    im going to go ebay on this one....someday...the DX tweeter is nice:D
    white truck...red and blue tweeters...the american dream?
    i think not...
    polk needs to lower their prices on tweeters
    i can pick up an entire mm6 set new-in-box for 170 on ebay
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • CowboyDren
    edited March 2004
    The Crutchfield rep I bought my db675s from (it was late, I was cold and pissed, and I didn't care that I was paying too much) shared my sentiments about midbasses. Buying direct from Polk isn't reasonable, and trying to sell through large-scale retail isn't a good idea (CC doesn't even sell db675* sets!), but why not major direct partners and smaller installers? Sheesh.

Anyway; I still don't have the speakers installed, but the good news is that I'm learning the P-EQ/T.Corr/B.Focus settings on my 9815 fairly quickly. I'd rather have response curves charted out. :(
    -=|JP|=-