Made my first cassette recording of an LP in over 30 years

Options
13»

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    My best friend had this Nak 700. Sweetest looking and I got to use it plenty. Finicky is right tho.

sgu5nnpqizw3.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Yeppers. Nice deck though.

I had a good friend, back in those days, who had a 600 (their two-head "wedge-shaped" deck). It was a superb performer, but needed pretty constant fiddling with alignment, bias trim & whatnot.

... and, of course, the workhorse Nakamichi 500's guts were sold in OEM versions by many, many hifi brand names in the mid-1970s. Nice basic deck, was the 500.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... or...

AKAI, bless their hearts, made combination reel to reel eight track decks for quite a while. Perfect for dubbin' some music to play in that purple 1972 Eldorado Convertible with the white fur upholstery.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/x-1800sd.shtml

akaiX1800.jpg
    image source: http://classicaudio.com/gallery/audio/akaiX1800.html

:)

Oh my gooooooooooood :(
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It was a different time ;)

EDIT: Heh, I just had a thought -- imagine an alternate universe, in which... Nakamichi made an 8-track deck. Maybe a three head 8-track deck. Ooooh.

As an aside, just like "fanfic" and whatnot, I know there're folks who "design" audio equipment that never existed*. Seems like a real opportunity to re-imagine some 8-track decks. Maybe a Pioneer "Fluoroscan", too. A Luxman "suckface" 8-track. The mind boggles.

OK, I guess I need more coffee...

* Here's an example: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fake-sony-es-components.457099/

7608022270_1e2896eb33_b.jpgSONY ES TC-2000ES MASTER RECORDER by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

Maybe an Elcaset for the 21st Century? You all do remember the Elcaset, yes? ;)

7605663566_1362615d37_b.jpgSONY ES ELCASET DECK EL-505ES by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ohh I like the looks of that Sony!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    I was out on a garage sale mission last year and stumbled on this Technics M02 direct drive cassette player for $10.
    It's about 1/3 less the size of a standard player, yet weighs twice as much and no belts to replace !
    Luckily for me, I still had my old RS demagnetizer and a Tascam cleaning kit from my 4-track recording days.
    I use it mostly now to transcribe old tapes to Garageband, where I punch them up and digitize them for posterity.
    My last project was for a college professor, who needed to have a 1970's taped conversation with an 80 year old Jewish/Russian immigrant digitized for a documentary he was making.
    The tape had been "eaten", so I took an old Maxell tape apart (they have little srews), broke the old tape out of it's case and installed it into the Maxell's.
    This conversation was probably recorded on a portable mono player and the background noise was distracting to say the least.
    I EQ'd out anything above and below the human vocal range and added a little compression, which made a whole lot of difference in qualty.
    To do these projects, one has to listen to the whole tape and index the spots where new questions are asked, which makes further editting much easier on the production end.
    This woman had been through WWll and all and I learned a lot from the experience.
  • StantonZ
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ Fascinating!
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My friend has a professional recording studio and gets asked to do these tape transcriptions from time to time, but usually refers these cases to me. He prefers to stick to music production.
    I actually like trying to bring back tapes that would likely be trashed otherwise.
    That russian lady has been dead for 40 years now, but her story remains.

Another project I once handled, was an ancient cassette recording of a hillbilly from the Blue Ridge Mountains who recorded himself singing and strumming his guitar many years ago.
    (a song called "Digging Up Bones")
    After enhancing the performance as best I could, I employed his female cousin and her boyfriend to join in with me to sing back up on my 4-track tape machine.
    I then added electric, heavily reverbed "twang" guitar, piano and drums and even a dubbed live audience.
    His cousin gave me a picture of him and his elderly mother sitting on a porch swing in front of their tin roof shack, which I aged with sepia tone and made a cassettes cover.
    I mailed it to him and heard later that he was the toast of the "Holler'" !
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I feel like a peeping tom looking in your window to check out the pic of Stevie Nick's ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 440
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just sold off the Maxell XLII-s cassettes that I had replaced with Maxell UDXL-II. In all, I (re-)recorded 10 90-minute tapes after modifying the "set list" for 3 of them (I had mixed another artist in that I have since bought CDs for). I just found out a (local) friend has a bunch of old Maxell cassettes, so I'm going to see what kind of condition they're in.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    StantonZ wrote: »
    Just sold off the Maxell XLII-s cassettes that I had replaced with Maxell UDXL-II. In all, I (re-)recorded 10 90-minute tapes after modifying the "set list" for 3 of them (I had mixed another artist in that I have since bought CDs for). I just found out a (local) friend has a bunch of old Maxell cassettes, so I'm going to see what kind of condition they're in.

A true Polkie, would've been "peeping" at the KLH Model 21 radio, but I get your point.