Nelson Pass Amp Camp Monoblocks

Options
More herd...

The Nelson Pass designed all Class A dual Mono amps.

Article here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html

Built by me from the amp camp amp kit and premium parts were used in place of some of the generic parts. This kit has the best Vampire RCA's (CM1F/CB) and Parts Express Premium binding posts. Input and output wiring is not stock (cotton wrapped copper on the inputs and Vampire wire to the speaker binding posts) and the caps were all replaced with Nichicon. The only change I made was to NOT mount the way too bright LED's in the front panel but instead I used red ones right at the board.

If memory serves I also replaced all the smaller resistors with higher wattage (same ohm value) resistors.

These run on individual laptop power supplies (19v). The minor upgrade has been done on this so it does run a bit more power than advertised.

Asking $350 and will include the power supplies. Buyer responsible for shipping costs. I'll provide packing.

t2chpwh2avgp.jpg

3v0zxn3ckh59.jpg

1zys8nnjq7h6.jpg

0cmrb7c8jmzx.jpg

ibgmnlgoybrw.jpg

4rsb84nr0kvz.jpg

nywkl8j10a3x.jpg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    DAMMMMNNNN bro!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    What's the power output? Good for 4 ohms?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Nice! must have been fun to build.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

5 watts of Class A power. Think of it as a SET tube amp...tremendously clean and a very powerful 5 watts.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

Here's everything to know. Mine are a bit more powerful as I've done the small modification. You can also use more than 19v (up to almost 30 if I'm not mistaken) but it will run significantly hotter and probably not last very long.

Frequency response 10 - 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB

• Power per channel 5 Watts per channel (That's 92 decibels coming out of your speakers, assuming you're listening from 10 feet away with 91db efficiency speakers. More than 2 hours at this volume level exceeds occupational safety limits, is more than adequate to annoy your neighbors, and certainly enough to enjoy your music at normal listening levels)

• Distortion 0.7% at 1 Watt (primarily second order harmonic which being even-order is described as "sweet, tubey" and being low-order as "benign/inaudible")

• Input impedence 10 Kohm
    • Max Gain 14dB
    • Damping factor 3
    • Output noise 100 uV
    • Power supply input 110-240V
    • Power supply output 19V 4.74A
    • Heat dissipation 20 Watts per Channel

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    This one was fun - nice and simple. There is a 250+ page thread over in amp camp land with all kinds of detail.

I've built two and am keeping the heavily modified one.

This one is NOT for sale:711ccepqo5o2.jpg

k7vb0vwtlg9c.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Wow......I've been contemplating buying and building that kit for a while. Of course you would have it......

I now know who to harp on when the time comes.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    Options
    When you get there let me know - I've a secret...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • heiney9
    Options
    So these run pretty hot? I realize with only 2 output devices even if they run hot it's probably not that much heat. The Aleph by comparison dissipates 200wpc. So I guess I could assume about 1/10 of the Alephs heat which can raise room temp by about 3*?

What are the dimensions of the chassis? Approx.?

Contemplating a 3rd rig, why?.................I have no idea....lol.

But these are cool and I know the quality of workmanship!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Can one build a standard (traditional) power supply? I am not a fan of switching walwarts. But I suppose in the scope and spirit of what these are supposed to be, it's perfectly acceptable.

H9
  • ALL212
    Options
    These ran 24 hours a day in my bedroom setup (my radio alarm clock if you would). They get warm - that heatsink is more than enough to dissipate even in a warm room and I never noticed the temperature go up because of it.

I'd guess it's about 4" square by 10" long.

http://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit - a video towards the bottom of that page will give you an idea of the size.

Some folks have built power supplies. I've thunk it - I decided against it. So, yes, One could build a power supply - just not me. Anything that puts out 18 through 24 or so volts DC at around 4 amps should work. That connector at the back of the housing isn't cemented in so if it would need to be changed to accommodate whatever you might use it wouldn't be prohibitive.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    Bump - I'll bump again Friday and then off to the 'bay.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    GRRRRrrrrrrr! :angry:
    I really want to do this myself...

I like your photo of the BAAC (Big A** Amp Camp) and noticed you completed it 4 years in the future.
  • ALL212
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    GRRRRrrrrrrr! :angry:
    ... and noticed you completed it 4 years in the future.

I had no idea I had that kind of power...be careful what mods you employ on these kits!

It's an easy kit to do if you can solder a circuit board - lots of room. The new kits incorporate the small resistor change to bring up the power and lower distortion.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    Last Bump - next stop is the 'bay
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Mrs. H'd kill me...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No one wants to try these?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Marky wants to try them -- Marky's just thinking he shouldn't invest 350 smackers in 'em (even though that's a very reasonable price tag). Marky gets cheap, sometimes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could always sell off some retirement equipment!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I could get rid of some of my junk, indeed. But I'd have to find a sucka upon whom to foist it.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack! :-P Very nice amplifiers; I would indeed love to hear 'em (actually I would love to possess them... but I can't justify it to even myself).
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Well Mr.H,
    Mrs.H got a new car ;)>:)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    How would these work with a passive tvc preamp?
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    @mhardy6647 what are ya......yella? (In my best Biff Tannen impression)
  • ALL212
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    How would these work with a passive tvc preamp?

I don't know why not but give me some more detail on what you have.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • TEAforONE
    edited July 2016
    Options
    its a promitheus tvc,with the 6db option. Speakers are Hornshoppe, Great Horned Heils.
  • ALL212
    Options
    I can't make any guarantee's but with the 6db option I don't know why it wouldn't work. That combo probably won't blow the walls down but based on your speaker efficiency I'd say room filling at the least.

Like the TVC? Always wondered how one would sound...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Marky wants to try them -- Marky's just thinking he shouldn't invest 350 smackers in 'em (even though that's a very reasonable price tag). Marky gets cheap, sometimes.

Marky :( ....Marky :'( ... It's only money.... >:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It would certainly be worth a try with a TVC or AVC (that's what I use here, albeit with a single-ended, direct heated triode amplifier, plus one extra, outboard voltage amplifier stage).
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    i love it. It works great with my Monarchy Audio monoblocks. I've tried a couple active pre's,and found they had way to much gain. Every aspect of the promitheus,fills every need I have.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Note my signature line, a quote from Gary Kaufman (tube nut and amateur amp designer/builder) with whom I'd had a conversation on a similar topic! :-)

Every active preamp I've tried made things sound just a bit less real and transparent than without :-/

I like the AVC I use a lot (but I don't actually know which hardware it is; it's a cheaper Dave Slagle product, I think). It affords an extremely transparent sound overall.