Monitor 10a Back In Action

lawdogg
lawdogg Posts: 454
edited July 2016 in Vintage Speakers
These got the Polk Forum Masses approved Clarity ESA caps and Mills resistors with Dayton shunt caps, along with hurricane nuts and stainless hardware, and PE 3/4" thick sound deadening behind the MW6500s which have epoxy'd magnets.

They cleaned up real nice and sound great. Debating plastidipping the PR baskets for vibration damping, and putting some foam around the Peerless dome to help with diffraction.

IMG_20160716_180740163.jpg

IMG_20160717_173322833.jpg

IMG_20160718_191158359.jpg

IMG_20160718_191058073.jpg

Put them into a poor man's MTM arrangement which I found to help with imaging and they really sound fantastic. So far have throw an assortment of music at them via Tidal -> McIntosh C24 (re-capped with Nichicon MUSE) -> McIntosh MC502. Extremely pleased with them and can't wait until they have 100 hours on them to A/B against my fully Dayton Monitor 7v2's.

IMG_20160720_210606659.jpg

IMG_20160720_210452920.jpg

In the meantime need to fix my 3.1TLs which toppled over as a result of using $3 speaker spikes.

Cheers,
Ryan
<3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,352
    The masses approval has been and remains Sonicap caps for the entire crossover. Use Dynamat Extreme to dampen the baskets. The Peerless does not need help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Interesting about the MTM. Oddly I have tried my M4A's on their side and they sounded ok depending on the height relative to the listener. They were more picky than in the vertical orientation IMO. I also tried this with M5jr+s but never found anything I thought worked.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    look good to me! :)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    ^^ What he said..

Nice work LD.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Pretty cool man. Bet they're sounding nice.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,056
    Hope the 3.1TL damage is minimal.
    Who would use $3 speaker spikes??? -LOL-
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • lawdogg
    Haha that was a joke ... the $3 spikes are great and working fine. :p
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• I don't know what it is but the 10's always make my nipples hard.Love the crossovers I think they helped!
    2 CHANNEL:cool:
    Belkin PF31Pure power/AV Conditioner
    NAD C165BEE PreAmp Great Phono Section
    B&K ST1400 S2 Power Amp
    Audio Quest 4 Speaker Cables
    ProJect RPM 1 Carbon
    Ortofon Blue Cartridge
    Quadio Interconnects
    Denon 2910 DVD-A/SACD Player
    Pangea SE 14 & AC9 Power Cords
    Vifa DIY 3 ways Sound is incredible. :biggrin:
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    I am going to give myself a nurple.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • lawdogg
    edited July 2016
    Well I'm on hour ~35 and my goodness these are awesome. I took a small break to make sure the drivers in some JBL L20t3's I grabbed worked, the ones with that famous JBL 035T titanium tweeter, and granted the internals of the JBLs are all original, but dang if these Polks don't blow them totally out of the water in terms of clarity, precision, and depth. (I mean, yeah I didn't expect much depth out of the tiny JBL, but still ... faint_smiley_33014066.gif)
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• hey lawdogg, congrats on the crossover upgrades, I just had mine done too and they sound great. I do have a question, I noticed in the pictures, you have the monitors sitting on their sides, tweeters on the insides; why do you have them on their sides? does having them on their sides change the sound signature or is there some other reason they are on their sides?
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P Rear Projection
    PS3 & XBOX 360, iPhone 6+ @ 128gb & iPad 4 @ 64gb, appletv hdmi,
    Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35, Oppo 105D & 93 Blu-ray, Philips BDP7501 UHD Player
    APC UPS w/AVR & APC Surge Suppressor
    Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, NR1607 receiver
    Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters, Axiom speakers, Pro-Ject Debut TT, Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-700,
    UPA-2, UPA-200 amps, XREF 12 DSP Sub, Ultra Sub 12
    NY GIANTS!
  • lawdogg
    edited February 2017
    Congrats on your upgrades!

Playing them on the sides is for imaging. People seem to feel that the Monitor 10's imaging is compromised by the side-by-side midwoofers, so I was thinking of the easiest simplest (read: cheapest) way to solve the problem (merely perceived or otherwise). So I put them on the sides to mimick an MTM array (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer) just to see how it sounded (not a perfect MTM array since the tweeter is offset from the MW-to-MW centerline). Turned out sounding great - more specific placement of the instruments, etc... maybe just perceived, maybe not? Maybe all in my head but costs nothing to try for yourself!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• lawdogg wrote: »
    Congrats on your upgrades!

Playing them on the sides is for imaging. People seem to feel that the Monitor 10's imaging is compromised by the side-by-side midwoofers, so I was thinking of the easiest simplest (read: cheapest) way to solve the problem (merely perceived or otherwise). So I put them on the sides to mimick an MTM array (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer) just to see how it sounded (not a perfect MTM array since the tweeter is offset from the MW-to-MW centerline). Turned out sounding great - more specific placement of the instruments, etc... maybe just perceived, maybe not? Maybe all in my head but costs nothing to try for yourself!

cool, thanks for the response. my 10A's are in my bedroom and they are and to me, the imagine is great. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, classic rock and the imagine is perfect. again, that's to my ears and we all hear things differently. oh and the 5A I'm using as a center, man o man does that boy sound good with it's upgrades!

perhaps some day, i'll give turning them on their sides a try and i'll be sure and get back to you when I do. for now, I'm loving them with their upgrades.
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P Rear Projection
    PS3 & XBOX 360, iPhone 6+ @ 128gb & iPad 4 @ 64gb, appletv hdmi,
    Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35, Oppo 105D & 93 Blu-ray, Philips BDP7501 UHD Player
    APC UPS w/AVR & APC Surge Suppressor
    Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, NR1607 receiver
    Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters, Axiom speakers, Pro-Ject Debut TT, Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-700,
    UPA-2, UPA-200 amps, XREF 12 DSP Sub, Ultra Sub 12
    NY GIANTS!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Cool looking setup sideways like that. WMG replied in an older thread that an iductor on one of the MWs would probably rid the lobing.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • While I appreciate my 10's, when the 7's came along the 10's went to storage.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • lawdogg
    On the 7 vs. 10 - a win/win comparison in any event if you ask me but I will say, A/Bing my 7s and 10s, I was certainly a fan of the 10s' ability to dig a little deeper than the 7s which to me added some 'depth' to the music ... I felt like I could get away without a subwoofer with the 10s. But ymmv, grain of salt, emperor's new clothes, and so on. :smile:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,601
    edited February 2017
    I've always felt that the 10s were a little "thick" sounding relative to the 7s -- but that assessment should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt, as when I bought my 7s (1978), I couldn't afford a pair of 10s -- so I may just be harboring residual bitterness.

;)