Need Ideas ASAP! MM10 Blowthrough

Options
jakedubb
jakedubb Posts: 31
edited March 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey guys I have a single MM10 and a standard cab p/u. I'm gonna do a blow through due to extreme lack of space. I was thinking of enclosing the sub & orig. box inside of another box in the bed of my truck. I will have the grill basically inside the truck and everything else mounted outside. Anyone have a better idea? Help! ASAP! Want to do this today!

Or would sub sound better facing the rear of my truck, but how would the sound waves enter truck? Large ports?
Whatup?
Post edited by jakedubb on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    Options
    i dont think you could do that...on a truck, the bed and the cab can sometimes move in slightly different directions, so if you have it in both, youll damage your sub...crack the enclosure etc etc
    some companies have flat sub woofers now that are about as long as a AAA battery
    if you want i could give you some links to those subs
    theyre sposed to sound pretty good
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jakedubb
    jakedubb Posts: 31
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Uhhh ya OK! I've seen this done many times successfully. You use a canopy/camper seal between the box and truck bed for weatherproofing. Just leave about 1/2 to 3/4" or so for flex. I know how to do it, but wanted input from everybody just to dbl. check before starting.

Cody- I remember awhile back I submitted a post that you basically laughed at and said "Atleast you did one thing right and went w/ a Chevy". I've been reminded of it several times and have thought about a descent response, so..............

*bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep *
    Whatup?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Go back and look at the post, dumbass. He said "Good going with the truck", and then gave you suggestions on what to change, after you asked what people think ("shoot me down, what did I do wrong?"). He's trying to help you out and you're just being a ****.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    Options
    by doing a "blow through" as you call it- you're compromising a few things that i've no time to rifle through at the moment.

however, in short, i'll say that you're much better off going with a shallower sub - perhaps two mm2104's than doing a blow through... do whatever you have to to get it into the cabin as it sits -- the pressure created by the tiny truck cabin will more than augment any displeasure you'll have from going with a smaller sub.

then again -- i'm putting two IDmaxes into a standard cab pickup -- and i'm not doing a blow through -- so ya, it's possible, and ya, it'll be worth it... and ya... i'm livin up to my plates "GO N DEF"
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    Options
    dude you crack me up
    ok...where should i begin
    I guess I misunderstood your post a little bit...i took it as youre going to drill a 12" hole in your back wall...mount the sub woofer to the back wall...cut out some of the bed...
    is that what you mean?
    if so, then thats a no...
    the metal you screw the sub into is going to cause some gross noise...its going to seriously decrease any resale value of your truck...its going to look like crap...theres other options
    having said that...
    wow

*bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

you just made yourself look like an **** and an idiot at the same time...good job...you almost made it too easy...
    happy box building:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The "blowthrough" designs are over-rated IMO. They detract from the function of teh truck, they are a source for excessive road noise and they ALWAYS leak. I have never seen one not leak.

On top of that, if you want a "blowthrough" box, you are going to need at least a tonneau cover. Personally, I'd get a hard cover that locks 'cause your stuff will get stolen, it's only a matter of time.

Sound quality severely suffers with a "blowthrough" design because the shape and length of the tunnel between the cab and bed affect overall frequency response and dynamic range.

Also, if Cody is right about what you were trying to pull off, you are going about it all wrong. The "blowthrough" setup requires that the speaker enclosure gets mounted in the bed of the truck. You then cut your holes in the bed and cab so that the speakers will fire into the passenger compartment of the truck. Most people put bandpass boxes in the bed and let the ports blow through. It's fine if all you want is to wake up the neighborhood. If you want serious bass, I suggest compromising some leg room and getting sealed enclosures. There are lots of ways to do it. A pair of 10's with about 1,000 watts between the two of them will make you go deaf in no time. If you can't sacrifice the space for 10's, I'd go with four 8's and wire them in series, two pair and run them off of a stereo amp in 2 ohm mode with as much power as those 8's will take. Either setup would conserve space well and pound your kidneys into submission or rattle your fillings loose.

Overall though, lose the attitude. If you recieved a bad response to your question, maybe it's not the responder's fault but your and rephrasing or clarification of your question would be in order. Although some people do fly off the handle unecessarily sometimes, myself included, they aren't always wrong.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!