EXIII 6x9 to Momo MMC 6x9 Momo = Less Bass?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently upgraded from the EXIII 6x9's to the new Momo MMC 6x9's. I used the supplied crossover. Mounting position is exactly the same and the EXIII's. Now I have substantially less bass than I had with the EXIII's. Kick drums no longer kick!

Im positive that they are not out of phase, as bass does not improve when panning from right to left. Im really disappointed by the sound of these. They are much cleaner on top, but the low end just doesn't sound exciting at all. Does anyone have any ideas or know why the bass is so much less than the EXIII's I had before. It almost sounds like its out of phase, but im positive its not.

Head is Kenwood Excelon X-569
Amp is Fosgate Power 400a4
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    Reverse before or after the crossover?

if after the crossover...

On the driver only? or driver and tweeter?

Is this mentioned in the manual?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    *scratching head* ... ummm... if he does it to both drivers, assuming they weren't out of phase to begin with (with respect to the fronts) how's that going to help? or is that the point? [that the crossover being as it is would cause the rear 6x9's to be out of phase with most other speakers using another or no crossover] ??
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    *scratching head* ... ummm... if he does it to both drivers, assuming they weren't out of phase to begin with (with respect to the fronts) how's that going to help? or is that the point? [that the crossover being as it is would cause the rear 6x9's to be out of phase with most other speakers using another or no crossover] ??

I was thinking about that too but, if the crossovers reverse phase and then send the signal to the speakers then if you hook them up like the front speakers, the rear speakers will be out of phase.

Reverse the phase by wiring the crossovers to the signal source backwards and the crossovers switch the phase and end up matching the front speakers phase. Matching phase means no cancelled bass and lotsa noise from 6x9's.

Did that make sense or did I get it all wrong again?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    phasing and wiring DVC subs always confuses me...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    phasing and wiring DVC subs always confuses me...
    -Cody

Dude, Ive been lost, I just didnt want to say anything in case I was the only one! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D