Sugar Coated

Options
This is a pretty amazing documentary that looks into the entire sugar industry and it's effects on health around the world. Pretty mind boggling. It's available for streaming on Netflix.

sugarcoateddoc.com

I've been reading up on the effects of sugar on the body and what it does. About 2 months ago I completely revamped my diet, from breakfast to dinner. What I eat and drink. This coincided with my gym workout program. The body fat has been melting off of me. Aches and pains in some of my joints are gone. I feel amazing! I have my morning coffee with a small amount of half n half, then the rest of the day is water till bed.
No excuses!

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good for you, processed sugar is poison.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    That is why I switched to high fructose corn syrup.
    Thanks for the link!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    edited May 2016
    Options

x 1000.....but wait, as Mericans it's our right to chose to poison ourselves slowly, as long as it's cheap and somebody's making a buck. I gave up soda a long time ago....and drink a ton of water. Never felt better.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I drank a ton of water and gained weight!
    Must have been the lead.
    In ohio, the water works has 90 days to notify us when
    there is lead in the water! :o
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »

x 1000.....but wait, as Mericans it's our right to chose to poison ourselves slowly, as long as it's cheap and somebody's making a buck. I gave up soda a long time ago....and drink a ton of water. Never felt better.

Cheers and good health to you!

Was at the dentist recently for my typical 6 month checkup. Went great as usual. I asked the dentist about my coworker who is 2 years older than I am (he's 50) and over the last year and a half, has had THREE teeth pulled and implants put in. Has also had several fillings in the 4 years i've known him. Told the dentist he's grossly overweight with one of the worst diets in existence, but thinks drinking 3 SUGAR FREE sodas a day is acceptable. Dentist said the chemicals they use to replace the sugar (they have to make it taste good) are known for a host of issues with teeth, gums, bone structure and all things oral. He's fooling himself if he thinks even one is acceptable!

In the documentary, they said the industry uses about 50 different names for sugar that they use to hide the fact that they are loading everything down with sugar. Included are the obvious ones...sugar, honey, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, fructose, and the list goes on. No matter what ya call it, it wrecks the body the same way.
    No excuses!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I thought that was only in Flint....in Illinois out in the Joliet/Plainfield area we used to receive notices about the levels of radium in the water. We had 2 labs die of cancer....may be connected....but glad we moved.
    I drank a ton of water and gained weight!
    Must have been the lead.
    In ohio, the water works has 90 days to notify us when
    there is lead in the water! :o

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I don't think the negative effects are anything new to most people about Sugar, they just don't care for 2 reasons.

1- the negative effects aren't readily noticeable.

2- It tastes so darn good.

After all, where would bakery products be without sugar ?

The key to everything is moderation, but like you said, they slip it into everything these days because it's a very addictive substance. We need sugar in Milk and French fries ?

I think some go crazy trying to keep up with what NOT to eat, instead of paying attention to the quality of what you Do eat and keeping everything in moderation. You don't have to carry around a list of things to stay away from. You won't find me passing on a good Cannoli, but I don't eat them every day or by the dozen.

Which reminds me, a new joint I have to check out just opened a few towns over. It's called "Tony Cannoli", no B.S....Have to go see what this dude is all about.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Sugar is also highly addictive.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ...that is why I don't put it in my 10 cups of coffee a day
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Coffee is a habit.

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    This film is really worth the time invested if you are one of those that thinks they are eating "healthy" with all of the diet meals and low fat offerings out there. It is in the same vein of Supersize Me, but without the attacking nature of singling out one vendor, just a deep look into how the industry is fooling the public into buying what is suppose to be healthy.sc27i6ad2wr7.jpg
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • tonyb
    Options
    Not news either Dennis, the food lobby is pretty darn powerful. Comes down to some basic questions really that some refuse to answer themselves.

Like....
    Who has your best interest at heart ? Government....corporations ?

Who's responsible for your health ? You...or the same 2 above ?

Once you realize government could give a hoot about you, and corporations are no better, you have to accept that responsibility yourself. Unfortunately most do not want to do that and instead inject the victim status.

.....and if your eating junk that they keep throwing at you, what other industries feed off of that ? Healthcare...Pharmaceuticals ?

You can pretty much put out a documentary for everything that we eat, drink, shove down our throats, use daily, and it all comes back to the same things....always.

MONEY !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The secret to counteracting sugar?

BACON
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    A easy measure of this change in our society is comparing senior graduation photos today with those from the '70s and '80s before fast food was the predominant intake within our lives. Even the changes within cafeteria foods from when I was in school is huge, from fat laden home made type foods that our body could burn off to frozen fat free sugar laden offerings that really kills the metabolic rate.

Where I live, a trip to Walmart is shocking to see the young folks so obese as a rule, not an exception.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Go to the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden. The women (most) are not overweight and their skin is flawless. The reason, they do not consume much if any processed foods.

Couldn't comment on the men, all I notice are the women...lol.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    DING DING DING!!! All comes down to money and profits. Of course there was the big push back in the 90's where everything went to low fat or fat free and even sugar free. When I see Fat Free, Low Fat or Sugar Free, I immediately think "Chemical Sh** Storm."

Going all through school up to graduating high school, we never had soda machines in any of our schools. An obese kid in school up to when I graduated in 1985 were few and far between. The bulk of us were thin and athletic. We got out of school, then immediately met up for some sort of sport. Today, soda machines line the schools and kids are a bunch sluggish robots with a soda in one hand and smart phone in the other. I dare say...remove the soda machines from schools, but you'd obviously have all the slugs filing lawsuits claiming their constitutional rights were violated (not sure what amendment protects soda machines).

Obviously, we are still free to choose, but when you have the bulk of the food industry saying their stuff is "healthy" and the Govt (FDA) going right along with it, people are going to believe it's healthy.

Then comes the word "Moderation." Sure, everything in moderation, but health-wise, what is an acceptable amount of sugar? What amount can our body handle and burn off? There's so many conflicting numbers out there. In the Documentary, the "Delivery system" is discussed. Take a 20oz coke...there are 65 grams of sugar in that ONE bottle of coke. Thats 65 grams of sugar being flooded to our system in 30-60 minutes. Then you have the rest of your day where the sugar attack continues. Your liver get overwhelmed and just keeps churning out fat into the body.

Other than my coffee, it's straight up water for me!
    No excuses!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    When I heard about the "bliss point" of perfect sweetness that is reached by adding sugar to products that historically didn't have a sweetness factor, I understood the ongoing problem.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/16/459981099/how-the-food-industry-helps-engineer-our-cravings

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Have you guys heard about Tom Brady's new book, which gives advice about nutrition based on his practices?

He doesn't eat sugar, I'm told.

And he also doesn't eat tomatoes, potatoes, white flour, olive oil, peppers, or mushrooms.

Like him or not, he's a pretty healthy dude!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    Options
    Tomatoes an Olive oil ?? Tell that to the town in Italy who has the most per capita centurions living in it. The thing with oils....you heat them up and they lose all the benefits and turn nasty. Olive oil is only beneficial if consumed raw....like drizzled over salads and meat/pasta.

Comes down to education, and a belief that YOU are the one responsible for your health. Not the government or FDA, not some big corporate food company or new fangled diet plan.

You have to have a basic understanding of how your body processes what your eat/drink.....and how that changes at different ages. Once you grasp that, you start looking at food slightly differently and start seeking out quality over quantity.

Processed foods are the number one causing health issues we face, but are the most abundant and cheapest to make or turn a profit. We can't get away from them, especially if you live in a big city.

Now there lies the rub....we have an FDA who is on take from big food corporations who love the big profit producing processed foods that we know cause health issues, while doing the double talk telling you to eat better. At the same time, put pressure on the family farms to sell out to big corporate ones and push them out from the outskirts of suburbia where many look to go for fresh foods.

We've had this discussion many times, the small family farms are being pushed out, intentionally made to make it hard for them to thrive when we should be making it easier. Farming is no 9-5 job, god bless anyone who takes up that profession.

I know I say it's up to YOU for your health, but you still have to have the choices available to you. If all that's available is processed foods, then how are you to make those choices ? Sad thing is, government and greed remove those choices for many. They want you to eat what they want you to eat, not what you want necessarily. That's why they voted to NOT label meat that has been cloned or foods dosed in radiation. If you knew that, you wouldn't buy it.....so the choice is once again removed.

That's why farm stands are so popular, farm to table restaurants, people want good food. Nobody is listening though, or they simply don't care because your not the one lining their pockets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    What about beer coated?

Can we still coat stuff in beer?

'Cause if not, I dunno if I can be friends with you people anymore.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Loved that response about counteracting sugar with bacon. :) There was a time when I was much younger and really watched what I ate. Needless to say, I was healthy , but I wasn't happy. Went back to enjoying the freedom of eating or drinking whatever I wanted and life is good.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    What about beer coated?

Can we still coat stuff in beer?

'Cause if not, I dunno if I can be friends with you people anymore.

LOL, Amen to that.

Beer coated
    Fried
    Chocolate coated
    BBQ coated
    Charred....

Just too dang much good stuff out there, not necessarily good for you, but that's why you don't eat it every day or by the bucket loads. Variety and moderation....enjoy food and life instead of walking around with a list and calorie counter. ;)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's