6 1/2 speaker needed

GT_03
GT_03 Posts: 37
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
In my GT the rear doors have 5 1/4 from the factory, but the hole will fit a 6 1/2 once you remove the bracket. It's not a major need in my system, but i'd like to get an upgrade. SO really what i'm asking who has the best of the cheap for 6 1/2. I really don't want blow $90 on a new set of Polks, even though thats my whole system. If anyone is selling anything, or has any opinion i would apperciate them. Thanks
Post edited by GT_03 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    how much do you want to spend?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited March 2004
    only about $40, i'm willing to buy used, or ebay items
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    infinity reference 6 1/2's
    JBL GT 6 1/2's
    Polk EX III 6 1/2's
    Polk DB 6 1'2's

any of the above can be foudn on ebay for about 40 to 65 bucks... my preference is in reverse order (polk db junior's first, infinity reference last)...

but any of the above will do the job and sound quite nice.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Ive owned Infinitys and can tell ya a little about them.

They are very, very bright sounding and if you listen to metal or anything with a heavy guitar then it will likely sound tinny and thin.

However if youre into rap, R&B, jazz or other music with clean instruments then they work quite well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    The low end on the Infinitys blows goats. The JBL's have a much better frequency range and aren't as bright.

Personally, I'd go with the DB's if you can find them for that price. The EX series always seemed to be a little lacking in thier low end grunt but it was never nothing that an EX sub or two couldn't fix.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!