Picked up a NAD C 270...

Options
shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Picked it up in Johnson City this weekend while visiting my daughter at ETSU. Two ± years old and in near perfect condition. Tried to buy Sean's C 370...but he wouldn't "GIVE" it to me. May still buy one (C 370) and bridge them both for 300 wpc. Just a thought.

Still playing with the C 270, moving it around in different systems. Seems to be a very nice 2-channel amp. Definitely has a "laid back" sound. This MAY be an amp that B&W speakers would mate well with and I might actually like them (I haven't found any I've liked yet...but who knows).

This amp certainly ads an element of depth and fullness in the systems that I put it in. One thing has suprised me though. I expected it to blow my Denon DRA-685 out of the water. It didn't. I think this speaks more that the Denon is actually a pretty good little 2 channel receiver (If a true high current 100wpc can be considered little) than anything negative about the NAD. The NAD is definitely better...just not the head-and-shoulders better I expected. I had considered using the Denon as a pre...but it seems a waste to not use this receiver somewhere....so I guess I'll start looking for a C 370. That should be just about all the power I need to push most speakers.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Congrats on the find. The C270 is a great amp.

Are you using the Denon as a pre? You said you had considered using it.

If you are, this may be a reason why you're not blown away. The C270 is amplifying the sound signature from the pre section of your Denon. The impact of adding a dedicated 2ch pre on a system is very big. I hear a night/day difference between the three pre amps I own connected to the C270.

I don't know anybody who wasn't blown away after making the jump from a receiver to seperates.

Have you played around with the "soft clpping" feature? Sean and I can hear a slight change in sound. I'm still unsure if I like it on or off.

Maurice
  • shack
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Are you using the Denon as a pre? You said you had considered using it.

No. I borrowed a Cambrdge Audio C500 preamp. It is a nice little unit.
    The impact of adding a dedicated 2ch pre on a system is very big.

As I said...it is better! But not HUGE difference. I still think I have to give some credit to the Denon. I think it is dismissed because it is a receiver...and that is probably a mistake. It is a very good stereo receiver. I was never dissatisfied with it. Just needed to buy something (isn't that part of the fun?).
    I don't know anybody who wasn't blown away after making the jump from a receiver to seperates

Now you do! Impressed with the sound...but not blown away.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Shack, I am in johnson city several times a week, might I inquire as to where you picked it up at?
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I too have a C270, Im very satisfied with it. Im using a tube preamp by Antique Sound Labs. My speakers are SDA SRS 2's. Its a very strong 2 channel setup, powerful and smooth. I will upgrade one day but not soon
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    BTW, How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? I payed almost retail for mine about a year ago.

Maurice
  • shack
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I bought it from an individual...paid $325 (no tax - no shipping) and as I said, it is in nearly perfect condition.

HWM - Johnson City is pretty weak when it come to audio. Mr. Toad has been there for over 30 years (I remember their ads on WQUT back when I was in college in the early 70s) but they only carry Paradigm speakers and mainly Denon and Rotel gear. I don't think they have upgraded their bldg since then either. Still nice folks though.

Soundroom has a better selection but he WILL NOT deal and doesn't have much time for you unless you are buying a whole system or a big ticket item.

There is a really nice shop over in Asheville that carries B&W, Vienna Acoustics, Bryston, Krell, Yamaha and a few more. I beleive the name is Audio, Inc. and it's up in the north end of town.

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the info shack, we had planned a trip to ashville soon and while we are there I will try and hunt them down. Toads used to be a huant for me for years, that is were I had my first taste of the sda srs. It's a shame that they are not what they used to be. Yeah the sound room crew are a bunch of a**es, and you are right you either got money to buy some gear or forget that you are even there in their presence. You ever goto Audition hifi when they where around? They used to carry some really nice gear, I just wish we still had some decent mom and pop stores around here.

There was a place on kingston pike that I had been to in 92 when my son was at u.t., it was on the left as you where headed for westown mall but I just can't seem to recapture the name of the place. I know they carried polk when I was there. How are the pawn shops down there, my wife had went to one about two years ago and they had some polks that when she described them to me I was able to determine that they were crs's, she had to go back the next week and they were already gone when she got there, asking price was 150. Wish I could have scored those.

Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"