My son's first stereo system

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,054
I've been wondering if my son would start to show an interest in home audio. He hasn't really shown much interest in my rig or listening to audio in general. That changed recently when we were reorganizing his room and I had an idea to upgrade his personal audio experience from a set of PC speakers and test the waters a bit.

I pulled a pair of Monitor 5 bookshelf speakers out of storage and connected them up to a very basic stereo receiver and the lights went on! It's fun to see him enjoying his own rig and I know I've just sent him down a rabbit hole from which there is no recovery. I'm sure one day he will ask me to move the SDA 1C's from the garage into his room. :smiley:

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    1C's in the garage? No reason why you have to wait for your son to ask, you could adopt me and move them today. B)

My dad gave up his interest in audio when he went into the Air Force so it was never something we had to share. Very cool you have things to pass to your son.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I'm doing something similar for my (now adult) son, he's always been interested in music but never really sat to listen to my rig(s) before about a year ago. (he's a Beats/iPod generation kid) The light seemed to go on when I played a few LP's and some SACD's ("I never heard that part of this song before...) LOL - I hope your son enjoys his new rig for many years to come!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• lando885
    lando885 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was never really into hifi growing up. Their was a year in collage where I wanted something a little better than my pc speakers, and I asked my dad. We ended up spending a few months talking about and looking at speakers and amps. Was very fun for me, something for my dad and I to have in common. We recently have both been looking at gear and I have to say its nice to get back into it!

Just my experience as the youngster in that situation :smile:
    Project Debut Carbon, Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.
    Cambridge Audio 740a, only using preamp section.
    Parasound HCA 2200 mk2.
    Dahlquist DQ10's, passive dahlquist crossover @ sub.

: )