wackiest idea to date

Options
2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I use spike shoes with felt underneath, makes it easy peasy to slide them around for positioning. I've tried spikes directly onto the floor, ebony spike shoes, aluminum, and graphite/aluminum... I can't tell the difference in sound at all. They do transfer bass to the floor with all of the above applications.
    If you have a wood frame structure, the floor will flex/vibrate, mine does with my 2As and SVS Sub. If you're on a slab, shouldn't feel anything.

I can for sure feel vibrations from bass in our one house that is a cement slab.
    It adds a very tight, easily felt vibration, that is quite different than on a wood floor.

The whole wood floor will vibrate in a bad way, with the concrete floor house, it feels like a concentrated buzz from certain low notes.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    @DSkip I agree but totally dig @steveinaz 's brass disk idea. When/if I ever have wood floors I'd start with the disks.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use them under my spiked Skylan speaker stands because we have tile throughout the house, on a concrete slab foundation. At my previous house we had carpet in the family room, so I placed the spiked speakers on the discs, which sat on a 18"x18" clay tile.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2016
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    I can for sure feel vibrations from bass in our one house that is a cement slab.
    It adds a very tight, easily felt vibration, that is quite different than on a wood floor.

The whole wood floor will vibrate in a bad way, with the concrete floor house, it feels like a concentrated buzz from certain low notes.

Exactly. I'm also on concrete slab and the super deep bass energizes the walls rather than the floor. It's a cool effect that really cleans up lower bass. I would equate it to bass from a ported speaker (wood floors) versus bass from a sealed speaker (concrete slab). It can make it a bit more difficult to energize a room w/deep bass--but it's certainly more "solid" when you do.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2