Polk LSIM 702 - where to buy?

Hello - I am not sure if this is the proper place for this inquiry, so forgive me if I'm breaking propriety.

I am thinking about buying some Polk LSIM surround speakers for our basement that we are finishing. I have a LSIM front stage with 705s and the 706C. I'm only doing 5.1, so for the surrounds I have been looking at 80 f/x ls speakers (the 700ls and similar speakers are too deep for my ceiling) and LSIM 702s, depending on how we lay the room out.

I noticed today that most of the online audio shops, including the one I purchased my LSIM speakers from, have stopped carrying the 702 all of a sudden. Are these being phased out or updated in some way? Just want to be up to date before I make a decision.

Thanks, and any insight you can give would be appreciated.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2016
    Looks to me like they are discontinued, although Polk still lists them as available. Strange.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited May 2016
    Snag them quick! Love the sound from these! Had the 703s for side surrounds prior for a few years.. the 702s fit best. I have them behind the couch with the tweaters pointed to the main listening possition 2 feet above ear level.. just awesome for surround!

http://www.use.com/2091aa564fcdef455423?p=1
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I really appreciate those pictures and your perspective. I had not seen many pictures of the 702s in the wild.

One question, eclypse: Are those 80 f/x LSes in the ceiling? Even if not, do you think they would suit as surrounds as an alternative? I know it's less than ideal, but the price difference between the in-ceilings and the 702s is immense.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    eclypse wrote: »
    Snag them quick! Love the sound from these! Had the 703s for side surrounds prior for a few years.. the 702s fit best. I have them behind the couch with the tweaters pointed to the main listening possition 2 feet above ear level.. just awesome for surround!

http://www.use.com/2091aa564fcdef455423?p=1

I have my older lsifx mounted the same way. Bipole dipole are great for surround duty. I've moved from Polk for my front stage but man.. I can't peel myself away from those lsifx, for what I paid years ago when they dicontinued the line and blew it out.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• eclypse
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    I really appreciate those pictures and your perspective. I had not seen many pictures of the 702s in the wild.

One question, eclypse: Are those 80 f/x LSes in the ceiling? Even if not, do you think they would suit as surrounds as an alternative? I know it's less than ideal, but the price difference between the in-ceilings and the 702s is immense.

Mine are polk 900-ls ceiling speakers.. there top of the line. The 80fx/ls will match the rest of the lsim line and are designed for surrounds so it should work.. but knowing you intend to go with an atmos setup later, you'll want all the surrounds at ear level and only the speakers for atmos above. Though if you do go atmos later you can just use the 80s for the ceiling height channels and grab a 702 later for surrounds.

Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    edited May 2016
    Let me add that I was fortunate enough to grab the 702s durring there last 50% off friends and family sale. That's the only was I finally got them! Been wanting them for like 4 years.

Polk audio's ebay store had the 80fx ls speakers back when.. let me check.

Yup.. $400 for a pair.. referbished with I believe a 3 year warranty I think.. might wana check on that. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-80-fx-LS-In-Ceiling-LSi-Di-Pole-Surround-Speakers-PAIR-/361540304243?hash=item542d7b3d73:g:HswAAOSw-YBXGoQa

Ask them politely and you may get a better deal.

Edit.. they even have the 702 at $1049.99 a pair referbished.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    The 702s just magically disappeared from the Ebay store. Either someone needed 6 pair all of a sudden or they were taken down...