One more George Grand post

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
Two years ago, I hosted the Polkfest at my place. George came down with boxes of booze. The vast majority of which was stuff that was acquired as gifts and such over the years. He only bought two bottles.

One was a small bottle of Metaxa that we killed most of that Friday night with dinner. The other was this bottle of Gosling's.

At last year's Polkfest, I had told George I had this much left in the bottle and even though he didn't drink much anymore, he had to finish it with me. Well, George was sick but came down anyway because he promised to deliver stuff to people who were coming. He said he was sorry but he wasn't hanging around. I said to George "What about the rum?" He looked down, sighed and said "Next time, my man. Next time." Then George went on his way.

There's not going to be a next time now and that really sucks. So I'll have to kill this myself, now.

I can't be mad at him, though. He gave us all something special. I was reminded of that when I was looking through old posts and found this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/22265/the-importance-of-time

It hit home and made me feel even worse 'cause I probably could have visited my friend more often but life isn't always fair like that.

So here's to you George Grand, thanks for all your time! I'll cherish all of it and miss it already.

or3j8iwsv2ei.jpg
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    John,

Great post. I've only met a handful of people from this forum face to face (so far...), and each one has been a great experience. I did have the opportunity to meet George, although only once, and very briefly, but I could tell in that short amount of time that he was a great guy. It sounds like you and George had a special friendship, and based on your posts, I imagine that this is exceptionally difficult for you. My condolences to you on the loss of a your forum comrade, and Jersey neighbor.

I hope to have the opportunity to meet you and many others on here in the future. I'm 'virtually' raising a glass of Gosling's to you, George, and the other fine friends I've made in my time here. Salute!

-Al
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    @Jstas, great post. Where did that come from?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    And Mr. Grand, looking down from heaven, smiles at your post John. Very nicely shared.
    Sal Palooza
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2016
    Don't feel too bad my friend; we would all like a crystal ball sometimes. I've had certain events in my life that really brought home for me the importance of letting people I love know how I feel about them in a very clear manner, and have been doing so. With my Dad recently declining in health, I make sure he knows how much I love him, and how important he has been in my life--he senses it, because he even chokes up a bit on the phone.

I have especially "piled on" the love with my brothers/sisters in law recently, because they have been phenominal with helping care for Mom with her cancer thing, and Dad with his declining overall health. Mom's in remission, and doing very well (tuff 'ol bird).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    John,
    just dropping by...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83