Monster hts5100 ?'s

Options
Are these worth using & what should i know about this & how does one hook up things to it ? Do i run my Comcast cable coming into the house to it & then to the dvr ? Can i put TOO many cords to it ? I have not read the online manual yet & i take it the digital meter on front is for what power is passing thru it ? Would a certain number detect a warning ? 61e3pwhabxah.jpeg
ktd6ckelkvmr.jpeg
db4kps45zg1x.jpeg
Im using some other cheesy unit & this & a Pangea AC9se came up local & i traded off a piece of gear i didnt need for them. So im gonna try hooking it up some time this week
Randy/Maine

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    That is a great way to start up your system with one switch. It does have circuitry within it to help condition line noise out so that your system can sound better. The voltage meter on the front is nice to have to let you know when you have a drop in power or changes that could affect your gear. They also protect gear somewhat from spikes or surges in power. The only thing that many won't hook through a conditioner is a large amplifier that they like to power directly to the wall.

They are nice units that give a central place to power up your gear. You can plug in each item and control the order that they come on to avoid "power on" thumps in your system.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Thanks for info. I have the amp going direct to wall. I have probably 6 other things i can plug into it. I put dvd into back of receiver. When i saw this i thought this might help tame down the issue im having when i turn my tv on-i hear a slight hum in speakers when we watch movie. All other sources it is no issue
    Randy/Maine
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    That hum may be caused by a ground loop from the TV cable being grounded in a different place than the ground on your wall outlet which is usually grounded at your breaker box/meter housing. Running your TV cable through this unit might take care of it or you may need to "lift" the ground which you might be able to do on this unit or possibly use a 3 prong into 2 prong adapter on the main power plug of this unit.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • boston1450
    Options
    Tonyb said the same thing. I havent tried that yet & wife had me on the go today. That issue will be hopefully taken care of asap. Ive been moving around the HT set up a few times in the last month or so. So its been baby steps & i think its coming along great. Thank you for advice
    Randy/Maine
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    Glad to help and hope you enjoy that piece. I love having a single place to power my gear from. I use that type of power center in every pro audio rack that I use for my sound gigs.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The top number on the dial tells you your line voltage, the smaller number under it tells you how much of that your actually using. You plug everything into it except the amp. It stays on all the time. mainly to protect against surges. You can run your cable thru it, might clean up the video a bit too.

You have the dvd player plugged into the back of the receiver ? If I read that right....don't do that.

As far as the cheater plug goes, try using the Power conditioner first and see if that helps some. If not, put the cheater plug on the receivers power cord and then plug it into the power conditioner. You just need to lift the ground on one piece, not all of them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok. Dont plug dvd into receiver. Does that effect ac power from the receiver &or strain on it ?
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    Options
    It does put some strain on it, those plugs are really meant for low voltage stuff like plugging in small fans to keep your cabinet cool. Individual pieces that need good voltage/current to sound their best should not be using those plugs on the back of receivers. With a DVD player, your probably not going to harm anything, but it's also not optimal for the player or receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    ketlcj9idcmp.jpg

I have one
    Great unit
    As you can see the voltage in my bedroom is high even with the stereo turned on.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    What I like about this unit and the HTPS7000MKII Signature series in the living room is that they allow me to turn on the entire stereo or home theater system by simply turning on the receiver or preamp.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I had one of the signature editions for a few years and liked it until I upgraded to a PS Audio unit. I wouldn't bother running the cable company's cable through one, but would recommend powering everything except a power amp with one. The conditioner throttles the output from a power amplifier based on my experience, and may attenuate the signal from cable a bit. The biggest improvement I saw was the visual clarity improvement when watching DVDs on a big screen tv. The conditioner did its job of shutting off during power surges a few times so was a good purchase.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I haven't had either problem with my amps or cable company cables running through mine.
  • boston1450
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok. We got it fixed. No more HUM after doing what tonyb & others said it went away. It was the tv cord itself !!!!! I dont know why/how. But it is fixed now :) It was driving me crazy & i didnt want to keep using it till it was fixed (cause i love my crs's) i ended up hooking everything to the Monster unit & running the Parasound straight to the wall. Thank You all for the advice & also feedback on the Monster. I was leary about getting it because bad reviews & i got a wicked deal on it & another Pangea which i always have spots for those. I did NOT have my dvd player hooked to the receiver (thought i did) i have the CS1000p hooked to it. That way when i turn receiver on it comes on & shuts off when receiver goes on. I cant remember if there was a automatic shut off (i will belooking at manual asap) on that beast-it is up high on shelf & to move it is a workout & a half. Time to enjoy it. Ty
    Randy/Maine
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Awesome. Glad you got everything resolved. Ground loops can be a PITA.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • tonyb
    Options
    Atta boy....a little experimentation and problem solved. Now go rock the walls. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    Options
    Got it all installed & placed on butcher block VS floor/carpet & yes its spiked :)bff1it0jof4t.jpeg
    1p0rpn3ju8ai.jpeg
    4jgrgd1cm5ne.jpeg
    Randy/Maine
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Looks GREAT
    Now replace that bloody Comcast box with a TiVo and watch how it BLOWS IT AWAY! :)
  • boston1450
    Options
    Thats not mine & she is ok with it. Tad bit easier than having to adjust the rabbit ears the right direction
    Randy/Maine
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So what kind of surge protection will an amp have if you just plug it into the wall?
    Do these Monster units not supply enough juice?
    I've been thinking about updating my Monster SP.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I don't have any problems with my Carver or Sunfire amps. Of course since they have signal tracking power supplies it's not a surprise.
  • tonyb
    Options
    gwh wrote: »
    So what kind of surge protection will an amp have if you just plug it into the wall?
    Do these Monster units not supply enough juice?
    I've been thinking about updating my Monster SP.

Most modern transformers can take surges all on their own. Now, I'm not talking about constant brown outs, lightning strikes near by, different story.

The Monster units are good enough for protection against surges, might even clean up the signal a little bit....and I do mean a little bit. PS Audio's entry level stuff is better imho, and I've owned the 5100 Monster.

The Monster is a device that uses MOV's. They get weaker over time and with constant surges. Mine bit the dust when lightning struck about 100 feet from the house. The only thing it didn't save was the cable box....and itself. Once they take on that kind of charge, they are toast after that.

So again, depends on the area your in, if you have constant or just occasional problems with surges and brown outs. Otherwise they are pretty much standard fair and will do the basic job of surge protection.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    Options
    I wish my cable box would blow up. Seriously i hate the F'n thing
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    I like it. I am prepared. I have a stereo & speakers & a good heater in the dog house :)
    Randy/Maine
  • honestaquarian
    Options
  • tonyb
    Options
    Doesn't even look like a HD box or their current boxes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    Options
    That is a brand new box last year from Comcast. It has a remote you talk to & records & pauses dvr unit. HD no idea. There is very little tv i enjoy & when i do have time to watch it-someone else is watching Kardasians or soap opera's. Thats why i have tv i got a wall bracket the swivels near workbench :)
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited April 2016
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I have a stereo & speakers & a good heater in the dog house :)

good to have a good plan B.... :p