E-BAY Bidding Wars, Whats the purpose (LOGIC)?

Options
2»

Comments

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I don't know the exact details, but many times folks will put out an ebay item with a very low price and a high buy it now price. Once bidding starts, the buy it now price is no longer available. Someone will bid early to keep someone from executing the buy it now price option and hoping they can snag a good deal due to the low starting bid price.

Now, we have a lots of folks interested all hoping to get a GREAT deal due to the low starting bid price. They are thinking of waiting until the last minute to snag the item, but many others have the same idea. Lots of people competing means, less likelihood of winning the item. Folks will bid early to winnow down the last minute bidders to just a handful. Their view may be that winning the item with a good deal is better than losing the item to try to obtain a great deal. There is always a method to the madness. Hopefully, this makes sense.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to bidding on ebay. I research how much the item should be worth and just bid that much. If someone wants the item worse, they can have it. Ya'll are right about those friends of the seller's bidding something up, happens all__ the time and it looks like it works out great for the seller. Sucks though for us buyers,lol. So much nicer to just buy from fellow Club Polk forum members here that you can trust without all the shenanigans.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    eBay is a strange bird, as it only takes two bidders that want an item to change the demand for that item. I recently listed a NOS guitar flight case that would be over $300 new that sat at the $79 price for 3 weeks unsold. I relisted it and had a potential bidder ask if I would take less as he had a European tour coming, so I lowered the price to $65 and told him that I would end it early to sell to him if he placed the initial bid. It went the next 4 days without any word from him at all, but at the last minute 2 other guys ran the bid up to $87 in the last few seconds. The thing was about to be put out to the trash as a 35 lb unwanted item.

I sell way more items for more than I ever thought I could get and rarely have to cut to the bone. I price items on 5-7 day auctions at about 75% of what the going rate is and I rarely have to relist unless the item is an obscure or generally mundane item.

For purchases I use Myibidder on my iPhone to snipe for the most part, bu just yesterday I did win a chinese 6J1 tube phono amplifier that regularly sells for $60 as a BIN listing, when they put one on auction for $35. I placed the opening bid 4 days out expecting to come back later and have to rebid, but it ended while I was at my grand kids basketball tourney. I won it for the opening bid making it the only one of that model that has sold that cheap in months. Odd for sure.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    If I want something that gets listed a lot, say a small appliance or golf club, for instance, I research the completed auctions for that item, find the lowest successful bid, and then use that as my guide.

I bid on one of the items right away at something close to that amount and then just wait to see if I get it. If I don't, I bid the same amount again on another auction, and so on, until I win it.

Of course that has to be for something that there are a lot of and that I don't need quickly. I have gotten some great deals that way