Need Speaker Stand Recommendations

Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,291
The time has finally come (thank you Polk). Upon delivery, I will finally be the proud owner of a pair of 703's.

These will be used in a 2ch configuration. What are some of the stands being used for these speakers for 2ch?
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Lovin' my 703s on top of some Sanus Ultimate Foundations 26-inch (UF26) stands! They are just the right height and are very stable, spiked and sand/shot-filled. They D/C'd them a while back (?!?!?!), but they still show up from time-to-time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006885FS/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have these coming tomorrow for my 703s to use for front wides to my 705s.

At 30 inches tall there perfect ear height as the tweater is 10 inches from bottom on the 703s.

They make thrm in different sizes so know the height of your ear level sitting in the main listening spot. Of course I'm sure you can raise or lower the angle if needed for an inch or 2.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,641
    If you can find the Sanus UF's, they are awesome.

Just good luck finding them...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    edited March 2016
    The Ultimate Foundations can be found if you are patient. I came across a pair locally a couple months ago. That said, you probably don't want to wait. For my center channel, I use the Sanus Steel Foundations stand. The posts are essentially identical to the ultimate, only there's 2 instead of 3. I substituted longer posts on my stand to make it 26" & will be using it to hold my LsiM 706c when it comes. I have zero doubt it will support it without issue, so I'd say the 703s should be safe on the SF26 stands.

I also filled my stands with the clumping type kitty litter. The holes on the post are tiny, you would need to drill them out to get shot in there. The litter weighs more than sand & will make the stand rock stable.
  • eclypse
    edited March 2016
    DaveHo wrote: »
    The Ultimate Foundations can be found if you are patient. I came across a pair locally a couple months ago. That said, you probably don't want to wait. For my center channel, I use the Sanus Steel Foundations stand. The posts are essentially identical to the ultimate, only there's 2 instead of 3. I substituted longer posts on my stand to make it 26" & will be using it to hold my LsiM 706c when it comes. I have zero doubt it will support it without issue, so I'd say the 703s should be safe on the SF26 stands.

I also filled my stands with the clumping type kitty litter. The holes on the post are tiny, you would need to drill them out to get shot in there. The litter weighs more than sand & will make the stand rock stable.

Umm what brand kittle litter? No idea what I'd be looking at for clumping type.

Get ready for a shock when ya open that 706! Hehe it's awesone and sexy and huge! Damn sexy. Makes for a great center peice to the other lisms. Oh did I forget to mention heavy??? Heh
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• Geoff4rfc
    Thanks for the replies fellas. All recommendations were awesome!

Yes, the UF's were carried by a handful but tough to locate now.

Knowing the distance of the tweeter from the bottom of the speaker was very helpful!

Thanks again to all!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • F1nut
    edited March 2016
    Geoff4rfc, there's a huge difference between the UF and SF stands. The UF as well as the Skylan stands are some of the best engineered stands I've run across. The SF pale in comparision.

I forgot to mention, Noel at Skylan will custom size the top plate to the 703's for the asking.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The $350 MDF/polymer extrusion made Skylan stands seem like the best option. I doubt anyone would pay more than that for $750-$1000 bookies.

However, if the budget is tight, IMO a budget MDF stand makes sense over a budget steel stand. Heck, the speakers are made of MDF!

Swan Diva Stands - $99 http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/speaker-stands/hivi-acoustics-accessories/d-stand

swans_d3-1_farben.jpeg
    post-34688-0-44422600-1449517121.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • DaveHo
    eclypse wrote: »

Umm what brand kittle litter? No idea what I'd be looking at for clumping type.

Get ready for a shock when ya open that 706! Hehe it's awesone and sexy and huge! Damn sexy. Makes for a great center peice to the other lisms. Oh did I forget to mention heavy??? Heh

Tidy Cat! Less dusty than sand too. It will take some patience getting it in the tubes. A small measuring cup with a pour spout & a dead blow hammer to tap the tubes while pouring are your friend.

While I agree that the Sanus SF series are not equal to the Ultimates, I think they are a solid solution. The tubes & top plates are, near as I can tell, identical. The steel base on the SF series is thick & has two re-enforcing ribs underneath. It's not going bend. Yes, the SF, overall, weigh less than the ultimate, and side to side stability may not be as good, but unless you have pets/kids regularly bouncing off them, they'll be fine.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    This what I got for my 703's and filled them with sand...worked great.

Linky

cbvhod1b2pxu.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • F1nut
    WLDock wrote: »
    The $350 MDF/polymer extrusion made Skylan stands seem like the best option. I doubt anyone would pay more than that for $750-$1000 bookies.

However, if the budget is tight, IMO a budget MDF stand makes sense over a budget steel stand. Heck, the speakers are made of MDF!

Swan Diva Stands - $99 http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/speaker-stands/hivi-acoustics-accessories/d-stand

swans_d3-1_farben.jpeg

The problem with those is they cannot be mass loaded.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    While I agree that the Sanus SF series are not equal to the Ultimates, I think they are a solid solution. The tubes & top plates are, near as I can tell, identical. The steel base on the SF series is thick & has two re-enforcing ribs underneath. It's not going bend. Yes, the SF, overall, weigh less than the ultimate, and side to side stability may not be as good, but unless you have pets/kids regularly bouncing off them, they'll be fine.

The UF stands were all about isolation and damping. The base is an inert glass resin. The glass resin feet have a foam damping rings between them and the base while the top plate has cork discs between it and the columns.

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    You are correct to a point. Both the SF & UF have cork between the top plate & tubes. On my pair of UF26, the resin feet bottom out on the resin base base before the damping rings can really compress. Their effectiveness is questionable. The resin base is more inert than steel, so they have that going for them. I can't claim to have A/B'd the stand side by side so...
  • simm
    simm Posts: 564
    Just got my pair of 703's in and going to have decide pretty quick on stands. I have Sanus SF 28" stands I am using with my Boston VR-M60's that I am going to use temporarily but will still want to get something permanent soon.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Geoff4rfc
    F1nut wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc, there's a huge difference between the UF and SF stands. The UF as well as the Skylan stands are some of the best engineered stands I've run across. The SF pale in comparision.

I forgot to mention, Noel at Skylan will custom size the top plate to the 703's for the asking.

Thanks for the info Jess, I've been searching for the UF's, none to be found as of yet!

• Geoff4rfc
    My speakers will be here tomorrow. I ordered up the SF26 MarkIV's from AudioAdvisor. They were kind enough to discount them for me to price match. I won't get the stands until late next week, I guess I'll have to have my wife and daughter just hold them for me :neutral:

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,731
    Need to have my visit once you get everything set up. Been too long bro...
  • Geoff4rfc
    Ken, you need to get over here and help me break in these 703's and get your impression of them and my new cables I'm using!!!

I'll let you in on a little secret........come spring break, my wife is taking our daughter out to her moms house/farm for a few days..........what's that??? Yes I do smell ice cold beer.

Be sure to bring some CD's you'll want to try out on this new 2ch set up. I'll be sure to let you know of our window of opportunity as it gets closer!!!

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,731
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Ken, you need to get over here and help me break in these 703's and get your impression of them and my new cables I'm using!!!

I'll let you in on a little secret........come spring break, my wife is taking our daughter out to her moms house/farm for a few days..........what's that??? Yes I do smell ice cold beer.

Be sure to bring some CD's you'll want to try out on this new 2ch set up. I'll be sure to let you know of our window of opportunity as it gets closer!!!

Sounds good man.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    The problem with those is they cannot be mass loaded.
    WLDock wrote: »

Ha! Its not the $99 stand that has a problem....its the guy on a budget hanging around this forum....being pushed over the edge. LOL! Just when he though he got a F&F deal, now another $350 for the Skylans. I wouldn't expect any other recommendation from you Jesse (F1nut).

However, the $99 D-Stands has to be one of the best values out there for anyone on a budget that needs a sturdy substantial stand for the 703's. At ~15" x 9" x 17" ~ 30lbs each they are substantial bookies!

The down post is solid and the base plate is pretty thick. They and weigh about 15lbs each. This is about the same weight of something like the four leg Skylan stands. Plus they DO have a cable management hole that one could seal off and fill with sand, kitty litter, or lead shot if they wanted to. See the picture:

Swan%20Diva%20Rear_1.jpg

IMO, I just think this is a nice looking and substantially sized stands that looks nice with a bookie the size of the 703's. Myself, I'm undecided if I am going to keep my 703's. I was going to order these stands but need to make a decision first. I'm also considering making my own stands with a similar concept of the Skylans...MDF plates and polymer extrusions or PVC pipes or composite deck posts. Material cost should be under $100....decisions...decisions.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Geoff4rfc
    Can I cuss here? Holy CUSS WORD!!!!!

2ch has been incredible, impressive everything. Going to watch a movie. I'll post a little more in depth impression soon.

• eclypse
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Can I cuss here? Holy CUSS WORD!!!!!

2ch has been incredible, impressive everything. Going to watch a movie. I'll post a little more in depth impression soon.

Lol! Welcome to the club man!
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103