One Call Carver 5 channel amps for sale

pjdami
pjdami Posts: 1,894
edited April 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Carver AV505 $288. This seems to be a pretty good deal based on the original MSRP. Am I missing something here?

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_23374.htm
Post edited by pjdami on

Comments

• RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited March 2004
    I found this last week. I tried a google search and could not find any info on this amp. I have a feeling it is not the carver we are thinking of. I may be wrong though?

Rob
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • pjdami
    edited March 2004
    Found 7 reviews for it at audioreview.com. I don't have any personal experience with it but Carver gear gets a lot of thumbs up from other members here.

http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/Carver+AV-505/PRD_115665_1583crx.aspx

Tried an eBay search and the Onecall ad came up.
  • stevecramer2
    stevecramer2 Posts: 34
    edited March 2004
    Here are some spec's for the Carver AV-505 amp. Seems to be a good looking amp with great spec's. And brother is that a discount!

http://www.dudesworld.com/resnikj/amplifier.htm
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2004
    This is the same carver. This is an old amp, I'm surprised that they still have them, NOS... anyways, It should be a good amp at a good price, as long as you don't mind it being a design from several years ago.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    Wow. that is a Great price.. even if it's not the current line model. appears to be NOS. Onecall is a good place to buy from. I have experience with them.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2004
    You gotta feel for this guy!

Carver AV505
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2004
    Hmmm... Business oppurtunity....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • pjdami
    edited March 2004
    Does anybody know how well this amp will handle a 4 ohm load? Being a Carver I would imagine that it would do that with ease but I don't see that in the specs anywhere.

There are a couple of folks looking to add an amp for LSi load. This seems to be a very affordable solution.

Looks like a great opportunity for a biamp application on a two channel rig as well.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2004
    A couple of these would make a killer whole house system for less that Niles or Russound.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited March 2004
    I have its little bro AV-405 and have been very happy with it.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Orion says manf'd 1997 to present...

I think this came out during the period when Bob C. was no longer with Carver and was starting Sunfire. Style and dates look right for that.

Came across this looking around for more info on the 505... Carver Corp was bought by Phoenix Gold this past January...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited April 2004
    pardon my ignorance, but what is NOS? (mentioned by Celureance & Danger Boy)
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2004
    NOS- New, Old Stock
  • kingtut
    edited April 2004
    Ceruleance, has the amp design been changed drastically since the AV505 came out?
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2004
    they don't make it anymore, so the answer is no, it has not changed at all.

EDIT:
    hmm tour says orion says they still make it. I think they may have the wrong information. Regardless, If you are looking for an entry level 5 channel 80wpc amp, i'm sure this one will do fine. At the very worst you can ebay it and get most of your money back if you don't like it
  • kingtut
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for the info.
  • browsinbob
    browsinbob Posts: 22
    edited April 2004
    Will the Carver AV-505 amp. handle a 4 Ohm load? I have a set of Ascend's I use for home theater that are 4 Ohms. I've surfed the net for this info. with no luck. Can someone help with this?
  • kingtut
    edited April 2004
    I believe that someone from another forum indicated that he used this amp to drive 4 ohms speakers, and it worked fine.