Door speaker replacement

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
OK, so I got a 2004 Nissan Frontier and want to replace the door speakers. The factory deck in the truck didn't have a fader so I assumed the tweeters and door speakers were both hooked to the front channel and my Zapco 200 would run all of them like a pair of components... but the tweets are hooked to the front and the 6.5's to the rear channel. I hooked up my Zapco to the door speakers and it sounds pretty damn good, gets loud, no distortion, but I want to buy a new pair of speakers for the doors. The tweeters sound amazing for being run off the deck power and being stock tweeters. I wanna know if you guys would just replace the whole thing with a component set, or just replace the door speakers with a nice pair of Coax's? It would save me a lot of time and money to do the coax's in the doors so that's the way I'm leaning right now.
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Coaxials dont suck but they will never be as good as components for several reasons.

1- components are made of better quality stuff than coaxials
    2- the tweeters in a component set are usually far superior
    3- you wont have a tweeter in front of the mid
    4- you can aim the tweeters for better sound quality and imaging
    5- better crossovers
    6- you get the idea

I would get a new set of MM6's and run them off of your Zapco amp. You can run tweets off of on amp and the mid off another, thats called bi-amping. The only benifit to that is you have more flexibility in adjusting and tuning the tweets and mids. Otherwise just run the left tweeter and left mid off the left channel of the amp and the right tweet and right mid off the right channel. It will work fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    chris,
    i would go towards a component system myself, but if you like the sound of your stock tweeters and just want to pick up some coaxials then go for it
    but i dunno...theres just something morally wrong about having a zapco amp and stock tweeters
    thats like putting 87 octane is a f-16
    :D
    but hey, if you like em, itll save you money, and youre the one thats going to be listenin to em
    but my vote goes for the components, i think youd be happier
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    LOL... Yeah, the stock tweets aren't gonna be run off the beautiful Zapco, just whatever coax's I got. I was torn between the CDT Coax's or the CDT components, but the tweeters are in the post up by my windshield and being the lazy **** that I am, I didn't wanna run all new speaker wire through that post and into my door. I'll probably end up going with some coax's at first and ending up changing to the comps in the end. Anywho, thanks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    CDT's, zapco amp, and a stock tweeter
    hahaha
    I want CDT 3 ways...next truck ill have em
    dude, i so need money right now
    25K should do me fine...
    -Cody