"Phase"

Options
Hello Collective!

I was wondering about something today that I thought, maybe, someone here has dug into. I have a few CD's that sound better on regular stereo speakers than the SDA's, much better (hard to believe I know). A wider sound stage, clearer percussion and more impact. My new CDP has this phase inversion feature so I decided to use it just for these CD's on the SDA's to see if it would make a difference. On one CD in particular it was pretty noticeable that the soundstage was wider and clearer. I thought this really strange but after reading up on this for a bit it got me thinking about the science of how SDA works and if, in fact, this feature on the CDP is actually taking away some of the SDA effect by the reversion. I know it sounds stupid to even say that but what else could it be? I mean, weird how it would sound better on regular speakers in the first place. Obviously SDA's can be picky but most of the music I have tends to sound much better on the SDA's, with these few exceptions, until now.

After reading quite a bit on the net about this topic I think I got a decent wrap on it but it's still confusing at some points which get pretty technical. The CD's I'm speaking of are pretty much the classical forms.

Anyone else here have this feature and run into this? Just curious as I've read it makes absolutely zero difference or it does make a difference. 'Course, SDA's are a whole different ballgame...
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I have a polarity switch on my DAC2, but haven't played with it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I just thought it strange since it only effects the SDA's on these few discs. There has to be some type of weird science to explain this in layman's terms. I've already read about how some music is recorded "inverted". Whether it be the mics or whatever down the chain all the way to the disc...
  • smglbrth
    Options
    Wow..., guess I come up with the weirdest situations that no-one else does...
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Not a weird thing. This is why some people love the sda effect and some do not. For me when I ran the sda 1.2 and 2.3, some cd's or lp's I actually had to unplug the sda cable otherwise the vocals or guitar would disappear. It depends on how it was recorded. You hitting the phase switch probably in a way was almost like taking the cable out except the outer speakers were still engaged.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • smglbrth
    Options
    That's what I was kind of thinking. On a couple of songs some strings/guitar were off to the right side and after switching the phase to "invert" they were back in the middle, where they've always been.

I still think it's weird...