Happy Happy Joy Joy

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Oh my! I'm so juiced up right now. I started calling some electronic repair shops about my Dyna and one store I called recommended a shop called "Falcon Audio".

I called them up and they know their ****. They also know a lot about Dyna stuff. I can get the problem fixed but the lady on the phone told me it's better to get it fully restored instead because of the age. Mine is among the oldest because it's called "Dynakit" instead of "Dynaco".
The price for a complete restoration is about $1000CDN which is a lot cheaper than I expected.

They don't recommend mods. She said I need to talk to one of the guys about it to get his approval.

I'm so happy right now:). Once I get it restored, I'll be saving up for a Conrad Johnson pre.

What do you guys think about a fully restored ST70 compared to a modded ST70 if you've heard them?

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    I've heard stock and modded. I liked them both and haven't ever had the chance to do a direct comparison in sound.

I know $1K CDN is about 12 cents, but dang that seems like too much. I'd go with a Van Alstyne or other proven mod. Hell, buy minty ST-70 and do the rebuild on this one.

Or just get it fixed.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Gidrah,
    Which mod did you hear? What are the main differences you heard? I was thinking about the Curcio mods. I'm still unsure about the mods. If I mod it, it's not a Dyna anymore. Just the transformers picked out by the original designer and someone else's design. I mean, I loved the sound when it was still working, so to be on the safe side, I think I'll just get it restored.

I'd rather get it restored than fixed because the parts are so damn old, they're beginning to fail one by one. I already lost $300 worth of power tubes trying to find the problem.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    To be honest, I have no idea. I didn't own one at the time and was to shy to go hunting down the owner and start asking questions. All I recall is that it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it was a ST-70. I heard it in an unfamiliar room, with unfamiliar speakers and music. So I can't really comment on the sound.

Here's another possibility to compare against the Curcio. http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/super70i_rebuild.htm

Let's face it, the ST-70 was a great amp and is still a good amp by today's standards. With a little investment it can be brought up to date and be a great amp by today or tomorrow's standards. I'll leave mine the way it is (it's already been slightly modded by the previous owner), but when and if I need to invest in it, I'll go with a mod.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    C'mon Sean, I'm not doing it just to have an addition to the rig. In fact, I wasn't planning to use my NAD again when the Dyna was still working except to power the center when I get back to HT. I love the sound of that amp. If you saw the pics of my rig in the summer, the NAD pre was boxed away and the C270 was just sitting there doing nothing.

The price for the restoration is fair (labour + parts). They're changing every resistor, caps, tube socket, wiring, the 7199 circuit board, etc. Only the transformers are staying.

Gidrah,
    I've been looking at that one too. I need to do more reading about the mods before I decide.

I remember reading a post in a forum where the member said that a completely restored ST70 sounds better than modded units. The 7199 tubes were designed for audio and those who had their amp modded listened to a stock ST70 before the mod with wacked out tolerance, old parts, etc. Most people get their ST70 modded before hearing it restored back to original specs..

Maurice
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Future plans, gee where do I start....

I'm going to give my parents a seperates system which will include the Rotel pre. My mom didn't like it before because the NAD was too big. I plan to buy her a small 2ch amp, maybe an Audiosource. She's already using a pair of my RT5. Wheneverr I hear music on her stereo, it just makes me sad. She needs better gear because she listens to music as much as I do.

I'll keep using the NAD until I can afford a CJ pre. The C270 will power the center speaker for HT.

I have the LSi9 wrapped up and put away until one day when I can set up a super rig for them, powered by a killer amp, pre, etc.

The Dyna will still be a Dyna if I don't get it modded. So far it looks like I won't get a mod for it. It should be good for another 20+ years after the restoration. The stock lasted about 30yrs.

Just read your post on the other thread. I didn't know you sold the ST35. Any plans to add some tube gear into your rig in the future? Have you decided on equipments for your permanent rig? I'm sure the Totems and LSi15 are staying right?

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by organ
    Mine is among the oldest because it's called "Dynakit" instead of "Dynaco".
    The price for a complete restoration is about $1000CDN which is a lot cheaper than I expected.
    What do you guys think about a fully restored ST70 compared to a modded ST70 if you've heard them?
    First, in this case older means better. The old Dynakits had the larger, US made Power Transformers. Later Dynacos and Dynakits (they did still make them) used smaller PT's made in Japan. Supposedly not as robust. People claim to be able to hear a difference. I do own both, but the small PT amp needed to be variaced back into service, so I never have fired it up.

AFAIK the difference between the "co's" and the "kits", is that the co's were factory built. Most prefere the kits as all components are screwed to the chasis. Factory builts are riveted in many places.

Agree that $1000 CDN sounds high. I still see nice 70's going on ebay for $400 US. But there is something to be said for having confidence in the outfit doing the restoring.

Certainly they'll bypass the electrolytic cap. Some think this is modding them and don't like to do it. Others do it even if the cap that's there is good. A good mylar capacitor will keep the bias more constant for sure. Certainly a difference between modding and restoring.

I would not buy a modded or restored 70, unless I had confidence in the person who did the mod's. Someday, I'll play at restoring one of mine someday... when I get my confidence up...:D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Glad to hear your mother is enjoying the LSi. Getting your parents into audio is just as hard as asking them if you can buy new gear:D.

Yeah, it's kinda sad about the LSi9 but I look forward to the day they're in their own 2ch room with killer equipments.

I will ask if they provide some sort of warranty on their service. I trust them because the store that told me to contact them was highly recommended by a hardcore audiophile I met in summer school who owns a Naim 2ch rig and B&W HT system. He was a great guy and recommended quite a few really friendly high end dealers.

Forgot how much you're enjoying those digital amps. I think the best thing to do is wait for them to become mainstream and build a rig with that. I wonder how digital amps would sound with a tube pre.

Your NAD is a killer piece of equipment. I'm really enjoying mine. They also match very well with the RF-35. It has that "Iron fist in a velvet glove" type of sound.

I don't get paid much. I only work 3 days a week but I work long hours. The only reason I can afford audio stuff is because I don't drive. It's amazing how much money I have at my disposal when I'm not paying for insurance, car, etc compared to my friends.

Actually, I'm curious about your source of income. You've gone through A LOT of gear in the past few years:).

Tour,
    The original power and output trannies are staying. Everything else will be replaced. If I get it restored, I will tell them to keep the original design except for a power supply cap. I've heard great things about increasing the capacitance there.

$1000CDN is about $650US, so it's not too bad. I know I can get another mint ST70 cheaper but whenever any of the vitage parts die, I lose $100 worth of power tubes. I'll lose even more while trying to find the problem. So I'd rather pay once and not have to worry about aging components.

The people doing the restoration are very knowledgable. I talked to the guy's wife on the phone and she knows more about the amp than I do LOL. She said a "soft start" is a must and they will include this.

I'd like to do everything myself but I don't have the skills, knowledge or time for that. I'd like to work on an ST70 one day but like you, I need to get my confidence up:D.

Maurice