polk hinge problem

I ordered a pair of the polk hinge in black and silver off of woot last week and got them in the mail yesterday. I like the fit and finish and have heard good things about them. But when I hooked them up sounds was staticy and intermittent in one ear. Not sure if it was the cable that was defective or if it's the earphones themselves. I contacted woot and they don't have any left in stock to replace so my only option with them is a refund. I am wondering if polk might warranty these (either repair or replace). I really want to keep them especially at the price I got them. Anyone know if polk repairing or replacing is a possibility or am I only looking at a refund from woot? I suppose I will try customer service when they open.
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Wiggle the cord at the base of the right cup and see if that makes a difference and gets rid of the static. I got a pair no problems, got a second pair and it had that same issue but after doing that the problem went away and has not returned.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Thanks. I will try that. Apparently woot is not an authorized seller so I am SOL. Either refund from woot or nothing. I would like to try another cord but it isn't a standard headphone jack......
    Shawn
  • The new cables can be kind of tight, so make sure you have it pushed in all of the way, and on both ends.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • shawn474
    Yeah I tried the plug and the wiggle test. Nothing worked. just going to send them back for a refund. But looking on Amazon, polk is offering the buckles and hinges for less than $45........and free shipping. Actually going to save a few bucks and upgrade to the buckle
    Shawn
  • shawn474
    Got the buckles today and the packaging was nice. I unboxed them and hooked them up. Just like someone mentioned, the static occurred after hooking them up but twisting the cord a bit took care of it and after about 2 hours of listening has nt returned. They sound great and are pretty comfortable. They do get a bit hot after extended listening. All in all, for what amazon is charging, I don't see how you can get a better pair of over the ear headphones for less than $45. I do wish the controls worked with my android phone but not a deal breaker in the least.
    Shawn
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Shawn,

My daughters each have a pair of Hinges, and I have a pair of the Buckles. With one pair of the Hinges, we had a similar problem (one side would not play unless you forced the cable sideways and held it there). Since we had two pairs, I swapped cords and confirmed the issue was in the headphones and not the cord. I called Polk, and they said send JUST the headphones to them. Even though I bought them dirt cheap on clearance (but new) from Cowboom they honored the warranty (maybe because Cowboom is a Best Buy company...). They replaced the headphones with a pair that works and we haven't had issues since.

Nice grab on the Buckles. I like them, but they do get a little uncomfortable after longer sessions and your ears do get warm! The bass is a little heavy on them, but not artificial sounding and overwhelming like Beats. Enjoy the new cans!
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Thanks for all this feedback guys. Sending to the engineering team to make sure this isn't a reoccurring problem.