265 LS in-wall backer box size?

Options
Hello everyone, is there a rule of thumb for building backer boxes for these babies? I have 24" center stud walls/ 3 1/2" deep. I have access to building any enclosure for them. At the moment I have inserted them into these walls with just roxul insulation and they are not sounding that robust. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The 265 LS sound their best when backed with Polk's Performance Enclosures, these have been specifically designed for the smoothest bass quality from the speakers.
    If you are not using this then make the area behind the speakers as air tight as possible with an internal volume of 1.2 cubic feet.
  • 69glamboy
    Options
    Wow! Exact answer I was looking for. Thanks Kenneth! I have hung out at AVS forum for way too long. No one would even touch upon my question. I guess they wanted my wallet open for the secret sauce answer. Thanks again!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Glad to be of help.
  • 69glamboy
    Options
    Kenneth... Can't seem to find the enclosures on the Polk site. Would you happen to know if they are discontinued? Have a link? Thanks again
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I have found this, I to am looking for a more complete and up to date list of compatible rough in kits for installation

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0JhEWGAZkra/shopsearch/polk_wall_brackets.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=28879745603&awdv=c&awkw=polk audio wall brackets&awmt=b&awnw=g
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not sure if Polk sells them directly or not, give a call to Polk CS at 1-800-377-7655 and they can help with that. Crutchfield is always a good place o find Polk gear.
  • 69glamboy
    Options
    Thanks txcoastal/ Kenneth, I will make some calls.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Please post what they say about the 265's

Thanks
    ___Ron
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• 69glamboy
    Options
    g23q48467msu.jpg
    Was on hold for a painfully long time. Gave up. Anyway guys I proceeded to "mimic" my own 1.2 cu ft boxes. As shown here, this is what the Polk Box guts look like. In my next post I will show you my hillbilly approach. Wait for it.......
  • 69glamboy
    Options
    283o4h8lfvcr.jpg
    Here is one "custom" backer box I had to cut in. Put in some mdf pieces according to the Polk factory one. What is missing from my photo is a small piece of Roxul safe and sound insulation I plopped in at the bottom left cavity. I then caulked some acoustic sealent all on the inside rim areas. Also caulked the faced 2x4 portions before I put my osb board back on. Trying to get things air tight. Now,the sound is like night and day. Before my sound was getting absorbed straight into the insulated wall. Had a terrible tinny-treble filled sound. Now...it is full and robust! ( I swung my side speaker cables on my receiver, on to my mains) I would definitely suggest to anyone to at least attempt to cut in boxes for inwalls, if you cant install in an unfinished wall. I hope this helps the forum members. Talk soon.
  • 69glamboy
    Options
    I lost everyone! What happened? ( bump)
  • JEmotorsport
    JEmotorsport Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options
    69glamboy wrote: »
    283o4h8lfvcr.jpg
    Here is one "custom" backer box I had to cut in. Put in some mdf pieces according to the Polk factory one. What is missing from my photo is a small piece of Roxul safe and sound insulation I plopped in at the bottom left cavity. I then caulked some acoustic sealent all on the inside rim areas. Also caulked the faced 2x4 portions before I put my osb board back on. Trying to get things air tight. Now,the sound is like night and day. Before my sound was getting absorbed straight into the insulated wall. Had a terrible tinny-treble filled sound. Now...it is full and robust! ( I swung my side speaker cables on my receiver, on to my mains) I would definitely suggest to anyone to at least attempt to cut in boxes for inwalls, if you cant install in an unfinished wall. I hope this helps the forum members. Talk soon.

Looks nice. Do you have the dimentions on your box?
  • JEmotorsport
    Options
    Thinking about H x W x D ;-)
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2016
    Options
    14"W x 55-5/8"H x 3-9/16"D

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ENLC65I/Polk-Audio-Performance-Enclosure.html

dimensions are in the specs