got dynaco?

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Today has been a good day, bagged a dynaco pat 4 pre amp, dynaco af-6 tuner, and a brute 70 homebuilt kit amp that is the mock of the dynaco st 70. All three are mint a little dusty but mint underneath all of it. Recieved all for free from a lady that dad works with, she has more boxes of goodies that may have more vintage dynaco items in them and I am picking them up tomorrow, will report back if I find any buried treasure. You should hear the adcom on the pre, sounds better than the denon if you ask me and drives it better also.

If I ever get use of good camera I will take some pics of the system and the new found vintage gear.

Cheers,
Mike
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good for you...

PAT-4 was a very nice SS pre. I have one as well.

But you'd better get a camera. I'd like to see the 70 clone and the tuner, which is a Dyn piece I don't know.

EDIT: and be careful spinning up old tube gear. Many have old style electrolytic caps that have to be eased back into service after a prolonged lay-off. A variac is used to do this.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Damn,
    First you get a real audiophile quality Adcom amp and then a week later you get a tube amp that should blow it away... Someone hit the lottery?? :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Conrats! If you have a camera, I'd like to see the 70 clone too. Like Tour said, you should use a variac to power it up.

Maurice
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2004
    Options
    You SHOULD feel bad about letting that ST-35 go. That is one rare piece. Half a ST-70.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I had a PAT-4 until about 3hrs ago. I really liked it and to be honest with ya, I miss it already. It wasn't hooked up, but now it's not even there.

I still have my ST-70, ST-120, and ST-120A though.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Sacrificed it for the Mac fund?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Options
    A drop in the bucket. Eff it, enough drops and my bucket will spilleth over.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • George Grand
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Dynaco stuff that I've had would be:

2 pair A-25's
    1 pair A-10
    ST-120 power amp
    ST-80 power amp
    ST-70 power amp
    SCA-80Q integrated amp
    Pas 3 preamp
    Pat-4 preamp
    2 FM-5 pre/tunas
    FM-3 stereo FM tuna
    Original QD-1 Quadaptor

All I have left is the Quadaptor and a pair of A-25's. Every one of those other products was worth owning. What a **** great company.

• hotwheelman
    edited March 2004
    Options
    When I got the amp I did internet research on it and found a some on info but no pics. Most of the info did not elude to the amp being a tube style of amp. The home built that I have has been tagged on the front as a brute 70 but it is not tube, it has two heat sinks with four output transistors and two transfomers on top as well. Could this be a nontube clone? I'm confused here,hope somesone can help me out.
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2004
    Options
    No idea hwm... There were a number of imitators out there.

I take it there were no other "goodies" to be found when you picked up the Dynaco stuff?

GG,
    Could not agree more. And the kits were so well thought out that even I could assemble them.

I've been seeing new "Dynaco" stuff on ebay. Seems what's left is now a retail outlet that's branding some out sourced electronics. But did not see their own stuff on the website???

The PAS 4 commands a good price on ebay. And for the first time today I spoted this new(?) Dyna Tube Pre.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• George Grand
    edited March 2004
    Options
    If that retail outlet is in Hauppauge, New York, I know exactly where it is. I think Panor occupies the building where Frog Hobbies was. It's right on the outskirts of the industrial park where I worked for Lafayette Radio Electronics, and about 5 miles from where I lived at one time with Crazy DeeDee the Body Goddess. I'm going to check that place out the next time I'm on Long Island.

That link worked for me before but it won't do jack now.

UPDATE - link works, I wasn't logged in.

• Tour2ma
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Curious thing is I don't see any of their own labeled gear on their site???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• hotwheelman
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Tour, that is one sweet looking pre, wish I had that one.
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Agree.... sweet looking. A bit of a Sunfire tube pre rip-off with that picture window. The red lights glowing in there take me back to my summer in Amsterdam...... but I digress.

Looks Chinese built to me. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but China tube gear can still be a bit of a dice roll from what I've read.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli