Finally pulled the trigger

dizzy
dizzy Posts: 91
edited January 2016 in Speakers
Many of you know I have been going back and forth about what to purchase. An amp or new sub. I finally ordered a new sub. I am going to try a PSA V1800. It should arrive Monday. Once I have it hooked up and play around with it, I will let everyone know my opinion of it. It should be much better than my current sub. I also ordered a Blue Jeans subwoofer cable to go with it.

Hopefully the wife won't notice, lol. Maybe I can make it look like an end table.
Pioneer sc-07
center-CSi5
fronts-RTi8
Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
sub-Paradigm DSP 3200

Comments

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Congrats, Good reviews and as for the coffee table idea let us know if it works ;)

Cheers
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Woh, that thing looks like a monster!
    Congratulations and good luck sneaking it in!

If all else fails, try one of those Men In Black flashy thingys. You can get them on Ebay. Same guy who sells the Time Machines.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dizzy
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I will pull it off. It would be nice to have the flashy thing....for alot of things.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    msg wrote: »
    You can get them on Ebay. Same guy who sells the Time Machines.

Doesn't he also set up shop in a with a van, which he sell speakers out of?
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    108 pounds? thats a hefty sub lol
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• dizzy
    Received sub today. This thing is huge. Not very easy to move around the room. I haven't had much time to tune it but from what I have heard so far with music, it sounds amazing. I will give more info once I have more time with it.

I decided to warn my wife beforehand. I showed her the size compared to our end tables. Her jaw dropped. Lol
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • dizzy
    edited February 2016
    I have the sub set on auto for its power. Is it normal with these to be able to hear it turn on? I was watching a basketball game and could hear it come on when music started playing on the tv. It's not the bass I hear, I think it's the amp.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Nice, man, congrats! Sounds like you're enjoying it already.
    What kind of sound does it make?
    I disabled signatures.
  • dizzy
    It goes very deep and I can hear more frequencies than I could with my previous sub. It doesn't sound as good with movies but I'm still working on that. It's gonna take some time with settings and placement.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • dizzy
    I finally have it sounding better with movies. It shakes the room but it's not overpowering. Hopefully I can do more testing and tuning this weekend.

In regards to the problem with the amp....Tom from PSA has been great. He had me try a few things. I left it on auto last night and it finally shut off. Today it has shut off exactly how it is supposed to. Hopefully it continues acting right.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Hi Dizzy, agree, PSA make some awesome subs! :) Do you happen to have a sub eq unit? They are wonderful as well as a few bass traps.
  • dizzy
    No. I don't have any of that.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,307
    Nice!! Good call on the sub. PSA's are nice, that's the direction I'll go when it's time for new subs.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    dizzy wrote: »
    No. I don't have any of that.
    Just some things to enhance your bass enjoyment in the future. Tom V. is great_,& knows what he's doing . I've thought about someday going with a PSA sub(s) in the future.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2016
    Bass traps made an incredible difference with my room. My old house had a troublesome square room, 2 subs and weak bass! Dragging my 160lb ultras all over the room, moving the couch, I did everything. Added some bass traps and was amazed... Room treatments are the best mod anyone could do for great bass and clean sound.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dizzy
    This sub is phenomenal. I finally found the right placement for it. Movies are sounding great and music is awesome as well. I was thinking of purchasing a bass EQ from PSA.

The amp started acting up again but Tom was great again. Probably have a new amp shipped Monday.
    Pioneer sc-07
    center-CSi5
    fronts-RTi8
    Surrounds-Polk FXi A4
    sub-Paradigm DSP 3200
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    edited February 2016
    Congratulations on your new sub it looks like a beast, bummer that it's giving you problems, but sounds like PSA stands behind thier product so it sounds like you got no worries.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)