Marantz NA-11S1

Options
gce
gce Posts: 2,158
I like how my Analog side of my rig sounds so now I’m wanting to up my digital side. I’m feeding all my Hi-res files to my Marantz SR7008 which sounds ok’ish but I know it could sound much better with a better streamer and DAC. So I’m looking at the Marantz NA-11S1 to be my streamer/DAC. I see a lot of good reviews on this but I wanted to get some input from you guys on this. Maybe someone here has one or has heard one.

If I go this route I would be feeding it from a Synology NAS loaded with FLAC files. I would then connect the NA-11S1 to my Rogue for play back. This would also give the opportunity to play around with DSD files. So what do you guys think, is this a good step up or do you have any other suggestions?
Anaheim Hills CA,
HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    The NA11S1 gives me a weird tingly feeling.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gce
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The NA11S1 gives me a weird tingly feeling.

LOL...is that a good feeling or a bad feeling.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I was pretty set on the idea of getting an Oppo but I have changed that to the NA6005 or possibly NA8005. The one you're looking at is dream gear for me.

• gce
    Options
    Well, in reading all the reviews I can find on the NA-11S1 its becoming clear that this should be high on my list for updating the digital side of things.

Ken Ishiwata even invited Mr. analog Michael Fremer the only American audio writer to the launch. Most of the reviews I've read are saying how analog this sounds. This is something I would be looking for. I like this quote from Ken Ishiwata:

"It all comes down to harmony," he said. "It's like a football team: you can have the best players in the world, but if they can't work together, if there's no harmony, then no way will the team work. In the same way, there's thousands of electronics components inside [the NA-11S1, and] you have to make a harmony one way or the other. . . . Sometimes you have to select a certain component to counterbalance the character of another. And that's what we do. . . . It all boils down to harmony, and once you have that, then you can enjoy the harmony in music."
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    gce wrote: »
    . Sometimes you have to select a certain component to counterbalance the character of another. And that's what we do. . . . It all boils down to harmony, and once you have that, then you can enjoy the harmony in music."[/i]

Amen to that, I've been saying that for years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Wow you have the TT-15S1 too, that's also on my short list for a new turntable, which I want to replace my old Yamaha someday with a new one.

How do you like it?

• gce
    Options
    I like my TT-15S1. Easy to setup, I've had it for 2 years now and haven't had one problem with it. The only thing I've done to it is change the cartridge to an Ortofon which was an improvement.

I have a lot of digital stored on my NAS that needs to be played. That's why I want to improve my digital sound. looks like nobody here has heard the NA-11S1 and like I said I haven't read any bad reviews yet. Funny thing is I wasn't even looking at the Marantz, it just kept coming up to the top in this price range as I was looking.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    My my! That NA-11S1 looks like a Gem no doubt. Price says is all, and if I had that kind of money I would be all over it.
    I use the cambridge stream magic 6 to play my files and it works great. My next move in this category will be the cambridge 851N which is no slouch, but also no contender for what you are getting! Congrats and great taste.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gce
    Options
    The Cambridge is a nice unit. I see it has WiFi and the Marantz does not. Not sure I would use WiFi on High-res files but it would be nice to have. What gets me is that DSD can only be run through USB. I guess USB is the only way to handle DSD large files.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    gce,

I had a similar setup as you described except my digital went into a Marantz SR6008 from jRiver. I remedied the situation by purchasing a PS Audio NuWave DAC. It has drastically improved the detail and provides "BIG" sound to my SDA's via an Adcom 555.

I am now considering the newest PS Audio DSD DAC. Initially, I considered the SA8005, NA8005 and the HD-DAC1Headphone Amplifier with DAC-Mode. I would like to have a NA-11S1 as I have always loved Marantz stuff.
    Harry
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • gce
    Options
    I was going to go that route. Get a stand alone usb DAC put it between the NAS and AVR but I want to get the AVR out of the picture. So that's why I'm looking at the NA-11S1. That will eliminate the need for the AVR to be in the 2 channel digital side.

AVR's should be used for HT, that's really what they were built for.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    gce wrote: »
    I was going to go that route. Get a stand alone usb DAC put it between the NAS and AVR but I want to get the AVR out of the picture. So that's why I'm looking at the NA-11S1. That will eliminate the need for the AVR to be in the 2 channel digital side.

AVR's should be used for HT, that's really what they were built for.

I agree with you 100%. My plan is to get the AVR out of the equation.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA