Adding Album Artwork to Existing FLAC Files

Options
I have a ton of files that in my ripping program that I failed to enable to add the artwork of each cd to, so asking here if anyone knows how to or you even can even add the artwork after the fact?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Best Answers

• recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is possible to add artwork after the fact, you just need to find a program that works with FLAC files. I heard "Album Art Downloader" and "Media Art" works, just have to try some out and see.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You may need to find out how the program you are using to play the music looks for art work. Some look in a different file or it may need to be attached within the song info.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    Answer ✓
    Options
    dbPoweramp can add album art to your .flac files after the fact.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Answer ✓
    Options
    None show on my Onkyo app that appears on the TV nor do they show in the microscopic window on the stream magic 6 (like I have heard they do in UpNP) ??

That's probably because you exceeded the pixel density of the amp/app. For example, my Yamaha AVR only displays pictures up to 800x800 or so.
    Don't know why this was marked "Answered" when it wasn't really answered? I use EasyTag (will edit song info as well as images).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • D'prived
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I had the same issue in my car. Any album art greater than 900x900 wouldn't display.

Answers

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Thanks and I was able to download Album Art Downloader and added about 10 covers to my files. None show on my Onkyo app that appears on the TV nor do they show in the microscopic window on the stream magic 6 (like I have heard they do in UpNP) ?? The artwork does appear on my laptop however?? Good to test a few and see if it works. Maybe after a certain period the art work will display from the NAS to the to devices I mentioned????
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • D'prived
    Options
    Johnny... I PM'd you back but not sure if it sent correctly. Let me know if you get it.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I found the program I like. Called MuvUnder Cover and while it's slow n go it it pretty easy to use and sure beats 're ripping all my music just to get the artwork I could of had if I had only known it was in my program from the start.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    I use "tag & Rename" software but you can also add artwork manually.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options

Most torrented music comes with album artwork already though right?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gatecrasher
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Most torrented music comes with album artwork already though right?

Not all of it does. I don't get too much as torrents but I've seen some that only has the music files. It all depends on what the person who uploaded the music decided to include.

Depending on what music player you are using, you can usually manually add album artwork pretty-easily.

I generally use a 600 x 600 jpeg as the display file. The player might not display it at that size but it can usually downsize it if it needs too. As some on here mentioned earlier, if you use too big of a picture size some software doesn't recognize it.

Say you have a directory of music files but no album artwork. All you usually need to do is find the artwork you want displayed on the internet.

Do a Google search and find the album cover. Then save it to your hard drive. I try to find artwork that is larger than 600 x 600 in size. Then I usually open it up in a photo editing software like Microsoft Picture-It or any other software that enables you to revise pictures. I resize the picture to 600 x 600 and always save it as a jpeg. Then you can copy it and paste it into the directory with the audio files. Then rename the picture's filename to "folder".

So you will end-up with all the album's audio files and a jpeg named "folder" in the same directory.

The next time you play the audio files the album artwork should be displayed. Some software like Microsoft Media Player will automatically convert the jpeg file named "folder" to a hidden file the first time you play the music and some others won't. It doesn't really matter whether it is hidden or not. It will still be displayed.

Try it and see if it works.

BTW What player are you using?
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I've tried naming (folder jpeg) and even (folder jpg) neither would display. What does work is (cover.jpg) and if I used "Albumart Downloader" I would have to manually add that artwork into each song in the file in order to see it on tablets/screens, and that was and is too much pecking at the keyboard for me. MuvUnder Cover is a slow n go program that does a nice job. I'm already into the letter H on my more than 5000 cd library so it's a project underway.

Onkyo receiver TXNR 708 in the living room (displays both on the android app, as well as the TV screen no matter what the pixel rate is) and with the Stream Magic, (only displays on tablet.and the android app. again pixel size doesn't matter, it displays it, and I tried a lot with crazy high pixel rates and the artwork comes back pretty slick!

It's keeping my busy.lol
  • recoveryone
    Options
    Maybe when FLAC becomes more of a commercial platform there will be more software developers that will make user friendly programs that will work like Mp3Tag.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When you rename a jpeg to the file name "folder" it will be displayed as "folder.jpg".

That's the most common image file that is recognized by most music players but some do recognize cover.jpg too. Not as many though.

It's just as easy (if not quicker) to just past a picture and rename it as it is to go through any tag or rename software if your goal is just to have the album art displayed.
    Maybe when FLAC becomes more of a commercial platform there will be more software developers that will make user friendly programs that will work like Mp3Tag.

There is no difference between an MP3 and a FLAC file as far as tagging goes. They both work the same way. FLAC has been around for almost 20 years now so it's nothing new. You can do everything with a FLAC file as you can with an MP3 as far as tagging, adding artwork, etc. That's one of the advantages of FLAC lossless vs WAVE.

A real user-friendly software for tagging music files and adding album artwork is called "Tag & Rename". It's a great tool if you have a massive amount to do like I do.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm