Pioneer Elite SC-67 vs Denon AVR-X4100W

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,054
edited January 2016 in Electronics
I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-67 in my home theater. I have an opportunity to switch to a Denon AVR-X4100W for a very good price if it makes sense. A couple of things stand out on the Denon that the Pioneer doesn't offer at this point:

Audyssey Multeq 32 and DSX LFC (which would be beneficial for the dual subs I run)
Dolby Atmos support

The Pioneer has a higher MSRP than the Denon and I have read that there may be a preference one way or the other with respect to the sound reproduction between the two. That said, I have a Pass Labs X1 that I use in HT bypass for music and I use a Sunfire power amp for the front mains and center. I only use the internal amp on the receiver for surrounds.

Thoughts?

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    I own the Denon 4100w and a Pioneer SC-87 and a Pioneer SC-82. Hands down the Pioneers sound better, have more reserve, and their auto calibration is more accurate.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    Great, thanks for the input!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    If reserve power is not really that important, and you plan on using Atmos, it may be
    worth a try going with the Denon.

I happen to like Denon, but I would probably stick with the Pioneer anyway, unless the price of the 4100 is insane and you could resell it tomorrow if need be?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/