Best bang for the buck help needed

Options
Just installed a vintage Alpine 7892 cd player in my winter car. It's got 50wx4, 3 preamp outs, center freq. control, crossovers, time correction, etc. I've had it in storage for nearly ten years. It sounds pretty decent, the tuner especially, and its a nice step up from the stock crud I've been listening to. I've gotten some suggestions from friends to stick some NSX V series coaxials with silk dome tweeters (or JL Audio) in the front (mostly for sound stage considerations) and next time I upgrade do the rears, but someone else told me to upgrade the rears first. I have enough rabbit holes around here already, so my question now is what is my best bang for the buck upgrade, if any? Assume that I am not going to be installing amps, subs, etc. Its been eons since I've done any car audio and I am not going to stick much into this as its a winter car. Would a pair of NSX or JL Audio coaxials make a big improvement either front or rear? What if I could afford all four, would it really make a difference with this Alpine? I drive 100 miles every day to work so its nice to have good sound but like I said I've got too many rabbit holes already.. Thanks.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Should add the vehicle is a 2010 Ford Crown Vic and I think it would take 6X8s all around.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Just realized I misspelled NVX, anybody have any suggestions ?
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks man! Would you do fronts or rears first if you could only do one?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do the fronts and put Polks in the backseat. :D
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    I do admire your conviction in not putting too much into this project.
    However...
    I can hear it... you want this to sound good. I would too.
    So I'll be the one to say it...
    C'mon man... just one liddle amp... you know you wanna
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Red: when I was in high school I was in a band, and put a guitar amp bottom in the back seat wired to my 8-track. Sounded pretty good actually. Lol. msg: I will resist I will resist I will resist.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Slap 2 pair of JBL'S along with that alpine in the winter cruiser and roll on down the highway. Is that 100 mile commute round trip? You need some good tunes with that commute those old Alpines were hefty back in the day, I wouldn't even worry about adding an amp to the mix, unless it's a 1 channel to blend a sub into the mix.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dromunds
    Options
    Yes, 50 miles each way to work. Time for tunes.