(Fairly) Early Polk Audio/Soundscape memorabilia/ephemera

Options
I was going through stuff in the basement today looking for some stuff for a hifi project* and I found a couple of things that I thought might provoke a smile (or maybe a sympathetic chuckle) - perhaps - from some folks here.

The receipt for my Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7A. I would've sworn that John Dorsey sold 'em to me, but Len Bradford (a salesperson there at the time) is the name on the receipt.

ij5c7r8vm596.jpg

I also found this odd bit of Soundscape ephemera from a year later... I don't even remember this little newsletter. It is very much "of its time" :-P

z7g1e4h72l1u.jpg
a28dh3jb83nb.jpg

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Those are cool pieces of memorabilia. Thanks for posting.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Yes, I like that you hung onto those things. Might as well give them a shout out with a link to their website... http://www.soundscapemd.com
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Cool stuff M.
    Always enjoy your sharing visual trips down memory lane.. B)

I'd share also but sadly I don't remember what I did yesterday :o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm guessing in 1978 you were 16. Saved your money making pizza's...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I was 19 & in college a wee bit down the road from Soundscape, squandering my summer "work-study" program income :-/

Actually, maybe I didn't squander it, come to think of it -- given that I still have all the stuff I bought from Soundscape in my college years and it still all works fine & sounds good.

I did pass along my LF14 subwoofer back to Polk* a few years back, in the interest of full & complete disclosure.

* Well, at least I attempted to -- handed it off to dorokusai one afternoon in Westminster, MD and off he went with it. I'd like to think it found its way to Polk as intended :- )

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It looks like your Soundscape salesman was Len Bradford, who's been a good friend of mine for many years. He and I worked together at another Baltimore store, Gramophone for about 10 years. He has always been a great guy and the consummate music lover and audiophile.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That is very nice to know, Ken. I remember him well.

He spent what (at the time) I thought was a ridiculous amount of time mounting a Grado F1+ I had bought from Soundscape onto my Philips AF-877. Only with the passage of time did I realize he was doing it right! :- )

In those days, the staff at Soundscape (in Roland Park) was John, Big Ed and their other brother (Richard?), and Len. I think they may have had a service person too... but stuff never broke, so I never really was sure about that. I never went to the downtown store (which was still extant in that long-ago time).

Gramophone... I bought a used pair of Dynaco A-25s for them, for my parents, for $75 back in (ca.) 1981 or 82. Seventy-five smackers. Good investment. My parents are both gone, but the Dynacos are still here.

When next you see Len, tell him that I said "hi"... and that I actually turned out OK ;- )

Ahh, well, enough reminiscing -- guess it's time for shuffleboard now ;- )
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Great stuff... That was a good deal... they would cost about $1000 in 2016

http://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=268&year=1978
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There's a third generation Dorsey at Soundscape now, Justin. The place is still the same, good audio equipment and service combined with a friendly atmosphere. Len has retired from the audio field and lives with his wife and several cats just north of Baltimore. A few months ago he gave me his assortment of turntables to refurbish as well as an old DKL Rabco that I had modified many moons ago for him.
    There are still many audiophiles who won't touch their systems without getting Len's take on what's good these days.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh -- wonder what he'd think of where I ended up, hifi wise: fleapower SE DHT amplification & Altec Duplexes?

;- )
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Noticed in the invoice it said demo Were they a demo model? Curiosity speaking how much was the new price without the stands? And would anybody know the original retail price for a pair of 1979 mini monitors [4.5mf's and PR with peerless tweet's] Recently picked up a set and I imagine they would've been the cheapest in that line
    Post edited by notified on
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes they were demos (floor models, in fact) in "rosewood" vinyl :-P Not the most aesthetic.

The usual price at the time for a new pair was 300 smackers; the 10s were, at the time, 400 Samoleums the pair.

No idea about the price of the mini-monitors; always wanted a pair, though ;-)
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    Options
    A8vtnpdrkowc1.png

According to Google maps this was the old location on W. Fayette St. I can see why they moved.

Before my time but would love to see some old Soundscape pics of yester year.