How Bout It...

IcePhreak08
IcePhreak08 Posts: 22
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, Today I tried my hands at my first custom install with the help of a few friends...It didnt turn out too well...Everything started good, it was tough to get the entire car wired, etc, especialy getting the 4ga wire through the firewall...But anyway, everything was going great, for all of us being noobs we got my whole car wired in about 2-3 hours...so everything is going good, than we install the amp, than the subs, than hook everything up and get ready for the beat..but when i turn on my stereo i get jack, no subs even working, no power to the amp nothing...than i figure out, the amp isnt getting power because of a problem with my remote wire, and we bypassed it, ALTHOUGH the amp is now getting good power, my subs STILL arent hitting for nothing, i have my bass at max, and my volume up like 3 notches higher than when its usually blaring and i am getting like enough bass to hear, not even feel...Now, after i disconected the amp(we finished up for the night) my interior speakers had a high pitched whistle, this whistle continued with the amp on, or off...BUT the whistel only occured if the car was running (as far as i know), not in accesory...So, heres what i would like to know, does anyone have any idea what could pssibly be wrong? anything whatsoever woudl be greatly appreciated seeing as now i have no music whatsoever...

o, btw, everytime i turned my stereo on or off i got a pop from my INTERIOR speakers...

thanks again

--Jon

*edit*

my system includes:
sony xplod deck
2 gnx124's
rockford fosgate punch800a4 amp
ford "premium" sound
Rollin deep in the T-bird.

1992 Thunderbird LX, w/ sport option.

JBL audio system, Fosgate Punch8004 amp, 2 gnx124's (12")
Post edited by IcePhreak08 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    do you have the interior speakers hooked up to an amp?
    im 99% sure that the whistle you hear is interference from something
    when you have the engine on, you have things that cause interference(like your alternator, ignition) running, when you turn the car off, that stuff isnt running...
    so thats probably why you hear the whistle
    as far as the subs...is there a light on the amp?
    im not sure about that model, but i know the new amps do
    if it does have a light, then do you have your rca's hooked up?
    you didnt accidently pull the speaker wire out either at the terminal on the box, outside or inside(assuming you have a terminal, you can hook it up straight to the speaker), ive done that before...
    maybe you have the gain all the way at 0?
    or you have the radio set where the amp will only receive a certain Hz(like 100 and below) and you have your amp set at 100Hz and the high pass crossover set?
    thats about all i can think of
    if you have a light, and its not on, the remote lead is working?
    you have a ground hooked up to the amp?
    the amp is hooked up to the battery?
    thats about everything...
    you might just have a bad amp...
    -Cody
  • IcePhreak08
    IcePhreak08 Posts: 22
    edited March 2004
    Well, I got it fixed, the subs work well now, but im still having problems with:

whistling
    remotewire
    turnoff pop

now im pretty sure that the reason i have a turnoff pop is because i have bypassed the remote wire (its not working) and so the amp is still on when i turn off the car, until i unplug the bypass..as far as whistling goes, it gets worse the quicker i accelerate, A few friends have said that it is probably that i need to get a better ground spot...
    Rollin deep in the T-bird.

1992 Thunderbird LX, w/ sport option.

JBL audio system, Fosgate Punch8004 amp, 2 gnx124's (12")
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    thats going to be noise coming in your lines somewhere
    move your ground cuz its the easiet
    if that doesnt solve it...move your rca's
    that doesnt solve it, move you speaker wire
    if that doesnt solve it...buy better rca's
    if that doesnt solve it...i dont know...lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    you could go the cc route and buy a bunch of expensive stuff that may or may not work, but that you can't return either way :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2004
    Whistle...more then likely is Alt whine!. Does the pitch and volume get higher with accelerator? If so..its alt whine. And uh..turn off pop is common..both mean POOR Ground. So..go re-check your ground. Should have commong ground for your amps. be sure you scrapped paint well and bolted/screwed tightly with a lock washer.

if it continues...try running your RCAs over the seats...and see if that clears it up. If so..your picking somehting up more then likely from the side wells.

good luck... have fun. there are a million things that can cause noise...:(
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2004
    one other thing...be sure to set gains properly...over ambunctious on the gain can result in Unwanted noise also.