$100 Well Spent?

Couldn't pass up a very local deal on a set of 10Bs, though my plan was to recap my monitor 7 series 2's after the first of the year.
Attached are pictures (please pardon studio gear / monitors). Speakers are in VG condition and sound quite nice. I've listened to Sting, Beck and Yo Yo Ma on these through my Yammie Integrated (AS501) both with correction and in Pure Direct Mode.
Impressions so far concur with reviews I've seen here that these are less focused than the 7's, but to me they seem a bit more "forward".
Can't decide which set to put in the workout room and which to leave in the studio / listening room.
These look to be Peerless tweeters which actually sound a bit more pure than the tweeters in the 7's.
I may end up recapping both and then deciding. Decisions, decisions ....

fc2ficabc4yr.jpg
16qgh1vsykny.jpg
weavv6axvdss.jpg
gym2safmd1em.jpg
fn0r687b6d9j.jpg

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited January 2016
    Your 10's have the SL-1000. I have both a set of 10's with the same SL-1000's, not in use, and Monitor 7s Series 2 with their stock SL-2500 tweeters. The SL-2500 sounds superior to the SL-1000 in my opinion. What I will do with my SL-2500's in the 7's is replace them with the newer RD0-198 replacements Polk sells, to improve them. You can replace your Monitor 10's tweeters with the RD0-194 which Polk sells. These will be a substantial sound mprovement in and of themselves.
    Edit: You did well for $100.00!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited January 2016
    Those look vnice. I had the same tweets in my 10's & to me i thought the sl1000 sounded a tad better than the SL-2000 which are in alot of Monitor10's. That is a good price.
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Your 10's have the SL-1000. I have both a set of 10's with the same SL-1000's, not in use, and Monitor 7s Series 2 with their stock SL-2500 tweeters. The SL-2500 sounds superior to the SL-1000 in my opinion. What I will do with my SL-2500's in the 7's is replace them with the newer RD0-198 replacements Polk sells, to improve them. You can replace your Monitor 10's tweeters with the RD0-194 which Polk sells. These will be a substantial sound mprovement in and of themselves.
    Edit: You did well for $100.00!
    you will love them. I did the swap out on 15tl's & was best thing since slice bread :)

Randy/Maine
  • scootr
    scootr Posts: 22
    Been there done that! Started with M10c, then M10a w/ peerless tweets. Put the 10's in the larger room, 7's in the smaller room. The 7's are really sweet in the right environment, got a pair for my sis and she dumped her JBL's! The tweeter upgrade is well the worth cost, huge improvement.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Thanks for the info gents. Once the bonus comes in I plan to work with West Mass Guy on cap upgrades to both sets. Will probably replace tweeters as well and have two very solid sets of speakers and be set for years to come.
  • I just sold some monitor 10s to a very happy guy around here for 220 cash. There was allot of interest and they sounded very crisp with allot of mid.
    I have to say that for recording I would stay away from SDA speakers. I love the effect but they would confuse anyone doing sound mastering. Do the recording and listen to them on the SDA series after.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    prosuite wrote: »
    I just sold some monitor 10s to a very happy guy around here for 220 cash. There was allot of interest and they sounded very crisp with allot of mid.
    I have to say that for recording I would stay away from SDA speakers. I love the effect but they would confuse anyone doing sound mastering. Do the recording and listen to them on the SDA series after.

Good advise, thanks. My mastering is pretty light weight as most of my recording is demo stuff. That said, I always bounce a high quality .mp3 out of ProTools and listen in the car, on stereo, via headphones, etc. SDA's probably in my future but will keep your advise in mind. Thanks!