n00b - DB525, Is it best to hook up to an amp or no?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have the Polk Audio DB525's (in the back)..... they have great highs, but the bass kind of disappointed me personally. Right now I have a 2 channel Rockford Fosgate 600 Watt max amp and a brand spanking new Eclipse Deck, but only have the Sub (bridged) hooked up to it.

Should I hook them up to the amp? What would it do for the sound? I'm a n00b at this, lol.

And one more thing, should I have anything hooked up to the power line? As of right now I have nothing hooked up between the battery and the amp, should I? I have heard people talking about it, but I am not 100% sure why, lol.

Once again, sorry, I'm a n00b :)

I lied, lol, ONE more thing, who makes the best 4" Speakers? Since that's all that fits into my ghetto 1994 Geo Prizm's front doors, my current ones are blown (not sure what they are, sister had them put in when she had the car) and I'm looking for some new ones, but like I said I'm a n00b.

Thanks for the help (hopefully :))
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Breezer23
    Breezer23 Posts: 4
    edited March 2004
    Bah, should of registered first, sorry, lol :)
    edited March 2004
    First, you should not expect a lot of bass out of 5 1/4" speakers, or any speaker that is not a subwoofer. Thats why most systems have their speakers crossed over at at least 80 Hz. Speakers dont handle bass well at all. If you want bass youll have to get a sub.

2nd, if you hook the amp to the speakers then you wont be able to run your sub. If you run 2 speakers and 1 sub bridged it will fry your amp unless its stable to a 2 ohm stereo load which I dont think it will be. With only one 2 channel amp you can either run the speakers or the amp, not both. You will be much better off by buying a 2nd amp dedicated to your speakers. If you like continuity then get another Rockford Fosgate. They are very good amps.

Stop reading this right now and go out and put a fuse in your power line 18" from the battery. Do you have to? No. Not if you like the smell of burning electronic components! Your amp should have an internal fuse but its cheap insurance to fuse your power wire. The size depends on your amp. Check the internal fuse on the amp and see what rating that is. Thats the size youll want. If you run a second amp then simply add the 2 together and thats your number.

The best speakers? Well I think Focal and MB Quart makes the best speakers, but thats just me. As far as the best deal on a set of 4" check out these. These are ultra high end speakers and at $220 are an incredible deal!!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Breezer23
    edited March 2004
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

When I got my amp, in the box was a fuse enclosed in some weird plastic thing with a metal tip on the end, wish I had a digital camera I'd take a picture of it, but, no where in the instructions did it mention it, so, it's still sitting in the box.

Also, is there any advantage of hooking the speakers up to an amplifier rather then not being hooked up to one?

I do have a little 10" MTX Thunder 6000 in the trunk, it's great, I love good quality sound, but it doesn't hit the whole bass spectrum (or something like that ;)), I was just curious abotu that bass, mainly becuase my friends stock 6x9s have some great bass, sadly I cant' fit 6x9's in the dang Geo, lol.

Do you have AIM or any messenger service? If so feel free to contact me (look in my profile :))

Thanks again man.

Anymore suggestions on 4" speakers are welcome. I sure wish that BOSE would make some car speakers for the public, BOSE rocks ;).
    edited March 2004
    Hey, okay, I found a picture of that fuse holder that came with my amplifier, is this what I'd need?

ROCRP7130_1.jpg

Heh, I have another question for you :) Currently my amp is underneath my seat (where the old "Majestic" amp was) so instead of rewiring it I put it down there again. Is there any advantage of having it in the trunk?
    edited March 2004
    thats an inline fuse holder
    the metal tips on either end is what you put the wire from the battery to the amp to
    im VERY surprised you havent fried that amp already...you need to do that ASAP or DO NOT play your radio
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    I used to work at a car stereo shop and recall a phone call i answered that pertains to this thread. The guy called and said he bought an amp from us and his car was on fire. I ask if he meant the amp is fried. He said no the fire department is putting out his car now. Regardless if your stereo is on or off, a short between the battery and the amp may result in what happened to the poor guy that called. Hopefully you already have put in the fuse and all is well, if not, this is just one more thing for you to think about till you get that fuse in.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Breezer23
    edited March 2004
    Hehehe, well come to the conclusion there was one already on it, lol, from the previous amp, lol. BUT, eitherway it's good to know.

Does anyone else have anymore suggestions for 4" Speakers?
    _________
    Breezer23