TT Isolation Base and Amp Stands

Options
I recently picked up a 24x18x3 Maple Butcher Block through Amazon to utilize as an Isolation Base for my TT.

There was a previous thread about this very thing. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170558/diy-tt-isolation/p1

I decided to trim an inch off of both ends of the huge block to remove the "built in" handles and to make it fit the top of my rack a little better.

Sanded, stained and finished

IMG_4369%204%201024x683_zpsyneo28yd.jpg

Installed some Sorbothane Vibration Pads between the rack and the block

IMG_4389%204%201024x683_zpsfowfwycn.jpg

And here's how it turned out

IMG_4386%201024x683_zpstbzclkgm.jpg

IMG_4390%201024x683_zpsuet7wt81.jpg

Liked the big Butcher Block soo well that I picked up two more smaller ones to use as Amp Stands, made base for the Blocks, stained and finished also.

IMG_4372%204%201024x683_zps9fsnlkb7.jpg

IMG_4373%204%201024x683_zpspu9lq1oi.jpg

IMG_4375%204%201024x683_zpsppcp0hiy.jpg

Here they are doing their job getting the amps off the floor

IMG_4392%201024x683_zpsa5wla1e9.jpg

Also recently install Larry's Ring in the 2.3TL's (had Hurricane Nuts previously) and installed some new Spikes under them, both of these mods have made a noticeable impact on their presentation, along with isolating the TT, everything has been "Kicked Up" a notch!

Have more Winter projects in mind, but for now I'm going to enjoy Holidays and get my listen on!

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Looks sweet! The color is a great match to your rack. Me likey :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Awesome job! That's a great looking setup. Bet it sounds better than it looks.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Looks sweet! The color is a great match to your rack. Me likey :smile:

Thanks, I used the same stain on both the rack and the Butcher Blocks, the Blocks came out a little darker as the Maple absorbed the stain more than the Poplar shelving on the rack.
    Awesome job! That's a great looking setup. Bet it sounds better than it looks.

If you ever get back home (KC) I'm right on your way in Columbia, give me a shout!

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I recently picked up a 24x18x3 Maple Butcher Block through Amazon to utilize as an Isolation Base for my TT.

There was a previous thread about this very thing. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170558/diy-tt-isolation/p1

I decided to trim an inch off of both ends of the huge block to remove the "built in" handles and to make it fit the top of my rack a little better.

Sanded, stained and finished

IMG_4369%204%201024x683_zpsyneo28yd.jpg

Installed some Sorbothane Vibration Pads between the rack and the block

IMG_4389%204%201024x683_zpsfowfwycn.jpg

And here's how it turned out

IMG_4386%201024x683_zpstbzclkgm.jpg

IMG_4390%201024x683_zpsuet7wt81.jpg

Liked the big Butcher Block soo well that I picked up two more smaller ones to use as Amp Stands, made base for the Blocks, stained and finished also.

IMG_4372%204%201024x683_zps9fsnlkb7.jpg

IMG_4373%204%201024x683_zpspu9lq1oi.jpg

IMG_4375%204%201024x683_zpsppcp0hiy.jpg

Here they are doing their job getting the amps off the floor

IMG_4392%201024x683_zpsa5wla1e9.jpg

Also recently install Larry's Ring in the 2.3TL's (had Hurricane Nuts previously) and installed some new Spikes under them, both of these mods have made a noticeable impact on their presentation, along with isolating the TT, everything has been "Kicked Up" a notch!

Have more Winter projects in mind, but for now I'm going to enjoy Holidays and get my listen on!

Wow, that is stunning.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Nice, good looking setup you got there.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    High marks on the DIY and color coordination!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments, after several years I'm finally getting my stereo where I want it.

The Isolation Block and the Amp Stands were much needed additions that did'nt cost an arm and a leg, the kind of improvements I like ;)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Nice job Mike! The Amp stands really took it to another level.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Wow! Beautiful! Really nice job on those.
    Which turntable is that? I'm new at this and becoming a sucker for tables that can use periphery rings/clamps.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Very, very nice Mike. One question, your OP states "Sanded, stained and finished". I'm assuming you used a wiping stain. when you say finished does that mean you put a finish over the stain (polyurethane)? It looks good either way, no gloss, satin gives a nice low sheen.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks, the table is a VPI Classic 1 with a VPI Periphery Ring and clamp.

The ring and clamp combo is a good step up in presentation, and flattens warped Vinyl ta boot!

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Very, very nice Mike. One question, your OP states "Sanded, stained and finished". I'm assuming you used a wiping stain. when you say finished does that mean you put a finish over the stain (polyurethane)? It looks good either way, no gloss, satin gives a nice low sheen.

You are exactly right, I used a Satin Poly after staining, I've never tried the "all in one stain and finish coat" that's available now, guess I'm too old and set in my ways!

I thin the Polyurethane and spray it on, I have a small Pancake Compressor and and Automotive type paint gun, a cheapo but it works fine for this kind of work.

I usually spray about 3-4 thin coats, rubbing out a little between coats, the only downside to the Poly is the dry time, Lacquer is much quicker to dry, but the fumes are dangerous if you don't have the proper room.

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Awesome. The all-in-one stuff is NO good IMHO.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Awesome. The all-in-one stuff is NO good IMHO.

I've never tried any Water Based Finish yet either, but I might one day.

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Very nice. The amp stands look pretty great.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Nice job very attractive 2 channel rig time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

... I've never tried the "all in one stain and finish coat" that's available now, guess I'm too old and set in my ways!

I prefer to stain and finish separate too. I've seen that all in one stuff used when folks wanted their door/baseboard moldings darker.

I've been using water based poly with good success. I started using it on our Oak window sills after the sun beat up on the lacquer finish. Still holding up very well, cat tested. I also used water based poly on the maple I wrapped my turntable with.

But walnut gets Tung oil. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mike Reeter
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

... I've never tried the "all in one stain and finish coat" that's available now, guess I'm too old and set in my ways!

I prefer to stain and finish separate too. I've seen that all in one stuff used when folks wanted their door/baseboard moldings darker.

I've been using water based poly with good success. I started using it on our Oak window sills after the sun beat up on the lacquer finish. Still holding up very well, cat tested. I also used water based poly on the maple I wrapped my turntable with.

But walnut gets Tung oil. ;)

Hey Rich, Glad to hear the Water Based products have performed well for you, that's more than a "Top Shelf" endorsement for me!