Headphones or amp

Options
My brother is a huge nerd and music junky, I have referred him to the forum, but he hasn't shown up yet. Anywho, my mother has said she will spend 150 on a gift for him, and I was wondering what you guys would get first. He already has a high res portable player, he isn't the happiest with it, but it will serve him fine until he gets nice cans and an amp. Would you guys get an amp or cans first? I have used a couple different pairs in this price range, but there is way more out there. Only amp I have used is my fiio, and I love it. What amps and cans in this range would you guys recommend?
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    There were some amazing cans on Amazon this year, Sennheisers come to mind that are normally priced at twice your budget available at that price point. 598's and 600's even I think. Hard to lose there. (I got my wife an amazing set of Momentums for only $79 at one point - color was red but hey - she's a chica!

On the amp side, I picked up a Bravo Ocean for a friend, (single 12Au7 tube IIRC) for a present that was only about $120. Gets pretty great reviews and he could get his feet wet in tubes?

That said, I have a Fiio, and honestly, that's a surprisingly good little amp, DAC, etc. and you can get the desktop docking amp! Don't under rate it because it's cheap and small, at it's price point it's very nice I think!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• seabeerob213
    Options
    Thanks brother
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    this is marked down to 56 bucks.
    I just ordered another one to keep at the office.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E07K-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1451107798&sr=8-6&keywords=fiio

Fiio-E07K -
    Wolfson DAC
    Amp.

If I only had 150 bucks I would look at following headphones
    On ear Sennheiser momentum
    Bose AE2
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
    V-MODA ( haven't used these but they get good reviews)
    and Velodyne vTrue or vLeve
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    I've got m50s and vtrues myself,
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Mom got him the at's, high up the guitar center, I would have rather ordered the pair on here for him, but he wanted them before his flight. Black, with detachable cord, he's running flack on a pono, I ordered him that amp, he'll have it when he gets back to Virginia.I'm trying to get him to get on here, who knows.