Popping noise when turned loud

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Popping noise I am listening to the SEX Faces Song

when I turn it up like kenwood deck 32volume the speakers start to make a popping noise

what can that be is the speaker blown It stupid sony amp is weak it shouldn't be able to blow the speaker 764 watts cheap sony its bridged so around 380 or lower watts..

any help will be appreciate I had the speakers for about 3 days
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I have the MM10 inch

sorry I am new :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    Options
    which sony amp? if youre overdriving the subs, esp with a dirty amp like that, it will cook it faster than you can say "oops". turn the gain down as a precaution; ive never heard a popping noise from a sub, so i cant help you there, but take it easy till someone does; if it's not done-for already, you may save the sub.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I will do that and report back to you guys thanks :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    Options
    that popping noise is most likely the amp clipping because youre pushing it too hard
    turn your gain down like he said...probably wont happen anymore
    -Cody
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2004
    Options
    speakers are blown by too little power rather then too much power...speakers blow when you are trying to drive them with an amp that clips. all amps will clip but cheaper amps will do it faster...this distortion is what blows speakers. you are much more likely to blow a speaker with a low wattage amp and pushing it too hard then with a high wattage one.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    speakers are blown by too little power rather then too much power...speakers blow when you are trying to drive them with an amp that clips. all amps will clip but cheaper amps will do it faster...this distortion is what blows speakers. you are much more likely to blow a speaker with a low wattage amp and pushing it too hard then with a high wattage one.
    true and not true
    realistically, speakers are not blown by too little power...
    if you have your gain set to where your amp will not clip....your speakers will not blow
    but if you have an amp and youre trying to squeeze every bit of juice out of it and it does clip...thats when stuff goes wrong
    you will never kill a speaker on too little power if you have your gain set right
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    Options
    the problem was that I took out the grill the speaker grill and I thought it had other Screws holding the speakers. Anyways it wasn't soo I took out the grill and screwed all the screws back in and its fine now.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing