Need Help With Design

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got done buying some cool **** for me to build My first system in a 01 s10. I Got the 400.1 amp that comes in a couple of days to power some MMC460's in the dash and some db6500's in the doors. I just had problems on were I should mount the crossovers and the amp. Im planing on adding 2 10's or 2 8's by summer time and then powering them off of to 500.1's If anyone can help me with this set up that would be tight
Peace
MPage13125
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    Its the reg cab
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    put the xovers near the amp or the speakers; the idea is to use as little cable as possible. when you mount the amp, the only rule i can think of is to put it right side up (duh). if its upside down, heat radiates up into the amp, which is badness. even vertical is okey; thats how mine is and it works just fine.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Dont stick the crossovers in the door. Water gets down in there and can muss up your x-overs. Although Im lazy and have been putting my x-overs inside the door for about 14 years now and have never had a problem, but its still not a smart thing to do and one day Im probably gonna get burned. Do it right and mount them somewhere inside the car where you can have easy access to them for whenever you want to tweak them a bit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MPage13125
    MPage13125 Posts: 2
    edited March 2004
    Thanx for all the advise but now I have another question.... I wanna throw in 2 single sealed 8's and Im kinda running out of room Does anyone know of A decent brand that will give me a good sound with mainley rock music. Price is no object. I also need a suggestion on amps to run them off of since a 500.1 will be to big for 8's. I herd that the polk basses wernt as good as there set up to be but i dont know considering i cant find a dealer with anything in stock.
    Thanx again
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    so you dont like the polk 8s??
    youre not being very clear...
    you want 2 8s...i got that...
    but do you also want amps to go with those 8s?
    do you want to stick with polk amps?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    boston acoustics sells their proseries 8 for 220 apiece; they'll easily take the 500 watts, so the fact that you wouldnt have to buy a new amp may offset their high price.

diamond's cm3 8 inchers may do it too - ive never heard anything about that line, price- or performance-wise. they'd have no problem with 250 each.

eclipse makes an 8 that could probably take the 250 you'd throw at it - they're rated at 200, but they're good stuff too.

jl's w7 series is pretty good, though it doesn't have a great rep round these parts. the 8w7 will take all of the 250.

mb quart's reference series (their q-line of 2 or 3 years ago) has an 8 that they call a midbass/woofer. it'll take 125 rms tops, though. you could always just get 4 of them...

what do you think of these?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MPage13125
    MPage13125 Posts: 2
    edited March 2004
    I havent really had a chance to listen to the polk 8's everyone that dealls them is outta stock. But some people have been telling me that they dont like them. I havent had any problem with any of my polk products. I do like the polk amps though.