How to get transistor set?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Once upon a time, I had a Rockford bd1000.1 amp. I had this when first starting out in the car audio world and didn't know anything about impedence. I wire to 1 ohm and, oops there goes my transistors. Now to the point, I have fixed this problem before. I got new transistors off of the internet, soldered them it and fixed my old Legacy amp. However, I took apart the Rockford amp and the transistors are attached to a circuit board of some sort (I think it is for heat transfering or something) and I can't get them off. Is there a way I can buy the whole new circuit board of transistors for each side on the internet somewhere or through Rockford??
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    two points... 1- fixing a class D amp is a lot more than just "swapping out rail trainsistors". class AB's that works with... D's no.. there's more **** in there that you need to diagnose and deal with.

2- you can get any of the parts you need from www.digikey.com and/or www.arrow.com ... take some heatsink compound, rub it on the top of the chip, then wipe it off, this will expose/highlight the part number of the chip which is sorta "engraved" into the top of it. search for identical or direct replacement transistors and boom you're all set.

as far as the sodlered to the bar thing goes... you're gonna have to remove the chips WITH THE BAR. don't try to get the transistors off the heatsink bar... it ain't gonna happen -- its 2,000 degree solder or some **** like that. you're going to have to buy new transistors and then get some of that plastic film **** that's non conductive to place between them and the metal casing -- then get a 1/4 inch thick metal bar and screw the whole damn set to the casing (ala the "old style" if you will). if half the rail is good, you can cut that metal bar and do the above process to only half the rail. black electrical tape, folded once over will also suffice for a "non conductive insulator", just cake up the heatsink compound like there's no tomorrow and screw that son of a **** down as tight as possible without damaging the transistor casings.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge