Speaker Wire

geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I bought a 250' spool of Tsunami twisted speaker wire model: SW916BL-250 16 Gauge for my install. Here are some spec's:

- Heavy superflex clear jackets protect
- Twisted pairs of pure OFC tinned copper wire
- Fine strands insure maximum surface area for low loss and pure sound
- Strict manufacturing tolerances insure design and performance integrity
- Twisted pair speaker wires minimize the transmission of radiated noise.

Tsunami Twisted Speaker Wire

What's your opinion about this technology for speaker wires (twisted pair)?.

-GLopez
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    From what Im told, twisted cuts down on noise getting into your signal. Im not sure of the exact science of it but its something to do with the twisted wires filtering out or canceling out the others noise.

As you can see Im not much of an expert. I do know that twisted is better than regular old wire.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    I found these technical articles:

Choosing a speaker cable

... "The twisted technology provides greater immunity from external electrical interference and leakage both from and into other cables"...

Twisted Technology (by MTX)

... Twisted Pair - Eliminates Noise
    By twisting equal sized conductors, we expose each side of the signal path to exactly the same amplitude of the radiated noise that is present in all automotive installation environments. Regardless of whether the signal receiving device has a single ended or balanced input, the noise is not passed through the system - only the voltage difference between each side of the signal path is passed through. As you can see below, there is zero difference in amplitude in twisted pair. Zero difference means... zero noise. And that means your audio system will sound extremely clean. (Clean is good. We like clean)...

Cable Construction and Audio Cable Performance

..."The standard ways to approach noise infiltration are through shielding and twisted pair technology, both of which limit cable bandwidth to an extent. Good shielding will reduce electrostatic (ES) noise infiltration. A twisted + and - pair will theoretically prevent electromagnetic (EM) noise infiltration by nulling out these noise frequencies. Cables that employ these geometries will still pass signals freely into the 100 megahertz region and beyond, however, which is far more bandwidth than what is required for audio applications.
    In reality, however, twisted pair technology only goes part of the way toward canceling out EM noise because the proximity of the twisted + and - pair is never identical over the whole length of the cable regardless of how carefully the cable is manufactured."...
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    BTW, I'm using twisted pair RCA cables with a grounded outer shield running form the HU to the amps. I bought 4Ch and 2Ch cables Black Magic Pro-series from RAPTOR. I hope to have a clean and free of noise audio system with all this stuff.

RCA Raptor Cables
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited March 2004
    Not sure if the Ground strap will induce noise. I personally use Monster Cable Micro-XLN in my truck. They're nice and compact. Fit great under my sill plates. Even with my CB Ant. wire.
    Chris
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    No way, the ground strip will never induce noise, it was designed to drain the noisy signals around the cable. If you don't connect any shield strip end, the propose of the outer shield will be minimized.