I think I got someone else hooked.

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
I have a friend who is....how shall we say it?

Exuberantly opinionated.

He doesn't understand my "hobby" of messing around with speakers and stereo equipment.

Well, the weekend before I went to Kentucky last week, he came by and hung out.

Being tight on cash as I had to cover the stupid trip myself and wait to get reimbursed, I made some burgers on my trash picked grill that "doesn't work" and decided to enlighten him to the world of high fidelity. He's only really messed around with my other "giant killer" stuff. The inexpensive stuff that punches way above it's weight class.

So I still had the LSiM 703's hooked up to the NAD stereo integrated in the basement. I drug my laptop down and started playing Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox channel on YouTube for him.

If you've never heard, go take a listen. The YouTube channel is awesome with some really good production value:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottBradleeLovesYa

Specifically this one video got his goat real good for obvious reason and not so obvious reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gO_lxThc1M

While she's definitely easy on the eyes, she's got some pipes and sounds absolutely amazing on the LSiM's.

He started picking through damn near every video on that channel and didn't leave until about midnight when his wife was asking where he was.

Now we had some leftover headphones from the Polkfest that Mark told me to send out as "seeds" to deserving individuals. I had one set left and I was trying to think of who I could give them to that would appreciate them.

So before Mike left, I stopped him and said "Hold on a minute. I have something for you."

I ran to the other room and grabbed the last box and handed them to him. He looked at them and thought I paid for them. I told him no and that it was a leftover that I was instructed to give away. He asked what they were and I asked if he was blind 'cause there was a picture of headphones on the box. He says "But I already have a set of Sennheisers." I asked him what kind and I forget the model number now but they are a beat up old pair of on-ear deals from the late 90's. But being Sennheisers, probably completely serviceable. So I pushed the box back at him and said "Dude, just take these, courtesy of Polk Audio. Enjoy them." He said thanks and I gave him some break-in instructions.

Well he just called me this morning and is yelling in my ear about how awesome these cans are. So awesome he told me he threw out his old Sennheisers. I text his wife to make sure she grabbed them from the garbage 'cause that would be just dumb. She said he's had the earphones on almost constantly since he got them and thanks 'cause it made his week.

I think he's hooked.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Another victim thrown down the Rabbit Hole.
    My youngest son now has the headphone bug.
    He bought a tube head amp and some AKG cans. Threw his ear buds in the trash and never looked back.
    Good job on the recruitments, John.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    And thx for the YouTube channel rec. I'm definitely gonna check it out!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I got someone else hooked last night. It was a nice escape. I got great enjoyment out of seeing theirs.

Yea, I never force it on anyone, and a lot of people who listen to my system are like "oh cool, sounds good", but the few that I can see the light and the smile make it worth it.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Good job gents....better sound comes in small steps. Once they get a taste though, they'll want more. Way to go John and mighty nice of you too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable