Active crossover settings MM465

erickoe
erickoe Posts: 18
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I want to switch from a passive to active crossover setup with my MOMO MM465 hooked on a Helix HXA-500Q (German)
The woofer is going to play fullrange.
What is the crossover freq (point) of the tweeter to set to my amp?

Thanx for your help.
syslogo.jpg
Post edited by erickoe on

Comments

• erickoe
    edited March 2004
    Is there anyone who can help me please? Kim?
    I don't want to blow up my tweeters....
    syslogo.jpg
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    i dont know, try calling polk
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    the specs say 4200 Hz
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • erickoe
    edited May 2004
    Do I blow up my tweeters when the crossover filter is set at 3500 HZ 18db/octave?
    Can I leave the settings at 3500 HZ instead of 4200 HZ what the manual say.
    The problem that I can't set the crossover frequency manualy that accurate.
    Only with a device called X-Just from Helix.
    Does the MM6 system use the same MM400 tweeter as the MM465 system?
    syslogo.jpg
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2004
    the tweeters are slightly different, how much? i dunno
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    whoa, breakin out the superman s/n!

i would think it'd be okay. powerhandling may be decreased a teensy bit, but the idea for xovers on tweets is to blend with the mids properly. the higher the mids go, the better the imaging (at least for components). so, pulling the tweets down to 3.5kHz should be fine, just put the mids there too.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    I would consider doing the woofer at low pass instead of full range. Generally (and I emphasize generally), you're not going to get a good sound with no filter on one speaker.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    do you mean highpass?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Nope, low pass. I think the woofer not being filtered around the crossover point for the tweeter might cause a bad reaction (unpredictable frequency response from the woofer at the higher frequencies). Heck, a bandpass might be better on the woofer.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    gotchya
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    yeah, i vote bandpass too... say 60 low, 3.5k hi

• erickoe
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Nope, low pass. I think the woofer not being filtered around the crossover point for the tweeter might cause a bad reaction (unpredictable frequency response from the woofer at the higher frequencies). Heck, a bandpass might be better on the woofer.
    Do you mean that I have to set the HP freq of the woofer?
    The HP of the woofer (composet) starts at 80hz done at my Alpine CDA-9812RB.
    The only LP I've set is the LP at 80hz for my subwoofer.
    What is bandpass exacly?
    Is playing bandpass the same as playing the woofer and cut the freq at 3500hz?
    So that you have a LP at 80hz and a HP 3500hz on the woofer instead of play it fullrange with HP at 80 hz?
    I always thought that the end freq of the woofer should go beyond the start freq of the tweeter.

I'm in learning mode, so explain :)
    syslogo.jpg
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Bandpass is setting a crossover so that only a certain "band" of frequencies can get through. It is a high pass and a low pass crossover put together. A low pass filter lets everything through below the point at which it's set . A high pass lets the highs through. To set up a bandpass, according to Neo, you'd want the low pass set at 3.5kHz, and the high pass at 60Hz. Make sense?
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • erickoe
    edited May 2004
    It makes sense to me now.
    start woofer at 60hz (HP)and cut at 3500hz (LP)=bandpass
    start tweeter at 3500hz (HP) no cut (beyond 20khz)=HP only

3500hz is the cut frequency but the woofer freq goes further than than but is slowly fading away.

Thanx.
    syslogo.jpg
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    yep. you set the woofer to play between, say, 80 and 3500. this is a lowpass at 3500 and a highpass at 80, collectively called a bandpass (b/c it passes only a certain band of frequencies). then, set the tweet's highpass at 3500 and the sub's lowpass at 80. because a given speaker's output doesn't drop to zero right at the xover point, it fades away, you will get some overlap, but there's no way to remove it, and this is the reason for higher-order xovers: less overlap.

btw, while the 3500 xover point is pretty much set, the one b/w sub and mid is much more variable. it depends upon personal preference, equipment, and install. set the xover too high, and you get the image pulled back (sounds like the kick drum is in your back seat with the bass guitarist). set it too low, and you miss the kidney punch of some beats. its all up to you.

• erickoe
    edited May 2004
    Thanx for you help neomagus00
    I'm much wiser now.

Can you tell why Polk choose te set de crossover freq of the MM465 compo at 4800hz?
    Do I miss the special touch when i'm using 3500hz?
    Do I miss anything or does the shape of the sound just change?
    syslogo.jpg